X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to login To SBS with Admin account

Hi Guys

Got a real strange one here.

I setup up a SBS 2003 server sometime ago with a Blank administrator password.
    The server has been working fine with no problems until now, we are unable to login to the server at all. It just says please check username and password so I thought maybe someone has changed the password and not told me, I used Loginrecovery website and that confrimed that a blank password was set but still unable to login.
    I have now installed admin pack on one of the desktops which allows me to see AD but im unalbe to change anything. What I have noticed is if I go into the Domain admin group it show the locked logo on the administrator account. But in the user list it doesn't show this.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can login to this server.

I was thinking of trying CIA Commander but I'm sure that doesn't work if a Blank password is set on the account you want to change

Re: Unable to login To SBS with Admin account

Both are probably correct! The LoginRecovery is probably reporting on the SAM (local) password, which is only used when you boot the server in Directory Services Recovery Mode (or server without Adctive Directory). However, what you need is probably the AD password for administrator. If you can access the server via the adminpak, aren't you using a domain admin equivalent password? If so, that should let you reset the password on the adminstrator in AD.
    And the locked account is probably the Adminstrator Template you are seeing - NOT the same as the administrater account!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

When using the admin pack I'm only able to see the AD as the user I'm connected with is only a domain user and not a domain Admin.
      so it looks like the domain admin account is the one I don't know the password for.
      How would I login to the server locally. Would I need to boot it in safe mode / Directory services.

Thanks

Comment

I have just tried login onto the server locally by at the login screen (DC name is JEMS01) using the follwing credentials

JEMS01\administrator
        (blank password

But this still wont let me login even though loginrecovery as confrimed that there is a blank Administrator password. If it makes any differnece I was doing this via Remote desktop

Comment

Originally posted by steffan.shadrach View Post
          I have just tried login onto the server locally by at the login screen (DC name is JEMS01) using the follwing credentials

JEMS01\administrator
          (blank password

But this still wont let me login even though loginrecovery as confrimed that there is a blank Administrator password. If it makes any differnece I was doing this via Remote desktop
          JEMS01 is a domain controller; (Because it's SBS it MUST BE) so there is NO local admin password EXCEPT the one used to access Directory Services Recovery Mode (DSRM). You cannot log into Windows with these credentials; you can only use them to access DSRM.

You need to log into Windows with Domain Admin credentials; there is no way around this. Remember - a DC doesn't HAVE a local user database AT ALL.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

There is only one Domain Admin account setup on the domain of which it's not taking the password.
            Looks like I'll have to do a domain admin reset. from the guide on this site

Comment

is there a way I can retrieve the domain admin password or is it purley a reset?

Comment

The password is stored using one-way encryption; so every time you type it in it gets encrypted and compared with the stored one. You will have to do a reset.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

thanks for all your help guys. Did a reset on saturday from the guide thats on here, worked a treat.

Comment

Resetting is always best.

If you are unfortunate enough to still have LM hashing turned on, you can find the hash even for AD situations with varying levels of difficulty (I plan to run a test on this when I'm between jobs). If how have the LM hash then the password can be recovered easily.

I suggest y'all make sure LM hashes are disabled as guys like me are running around with RainbowCrack tables and extract tools. You give me physical access to a machine...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299656
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X