Creating trust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating trust

Simple question, does SBS2003 SP2 supports creating a trust with a new domain? I am about to migrate from SBS2003 to Standard 2003 (new Domain)and Exchange 2007 STD and I am trying to figure out what the best way is.

Thanks

Re: Creating trust

Simple answer: No Trusts in SBS!

You will get more detailed advice, but IIRC the ways of migrating from SBS are:
    Fresh start
    Buy the Transition Pack and do an in place upgrade
    Set up a new domain and use ADMT to migrate users etc.
    Do a Swing Migration (www.sbsmigration.com) which works for a lot more than just SBS
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Simple answer: No Trusts in SBS!

You will get more detailed advice, but IIRC the ways of migrating from SBS are:
      Fresh start
      Buy the Transition Pack and do an in place upgrade
      Set up a new domain and use ADMT to migrate users etc.
      Do a Swing Migration (www.sbsmigration.com) which works for a lot more than just SBS
      thank you sir

Comment

Well I called these guys www.sbsmigration.com and they were completly against the idea of using the transition pack and they said it will most likely blow my SBS2003 box.

I have few applications on the SBS that I want to keep running and keep using it I thought I would make the transition to STD and then demote it and join it to the new domain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayer View Post
          Well I called these guys www.sbsmigration.com and they were completly against the idea of using the transition pack and they said it will most likely blow my SBS2003 box.

I have few applications on the SBS that I want to keep running and keep using it I thought I would make the transition to STD and then demote it and join it to the new domain.
          With the SBSmigration kit that would allow you do a swing migration to a temporary DC on the same subnet migrate the FSMO roles forklift exchange clean up AD and shut down the old SBS server and then migrate the configuration to the new server. This i believe is generally only for SBS. BUT it does allow you to do in place upgrades to std and enterprise using Jeffs kit. The kit uses some handy scripts written by Jeff as well as describing in excellent detail how to migrate your SBS server with simplistic ease. I used it to upgrade a SBS 2000 to SBS2003 and experienced very few issues. The MS route tends to be clunky ill advised with grainy detail and often leads you into breaking something within AD.

Comment

I have spoken to Jeff about this migration off-line and the problem appears in this case to be preserving the LOB apps.
            There is an inherent difficulty in keeping the LOB apps on the SBS server whilst removing the limitations of SBS. Swing Migration was not built for this specific corner case; Transition pack is at best flaky for what the OP wants to do and the only safe choice appears to be to find a way to install the LOB apps on new hardware/system - not what the OP wants to do at all.
            If it was possible to image the system and then try the transition pack on the imaged system, then the prototype results might be meaningful - but the costs may be extortionate.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X