Users cannot access server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users cannot access server

I have an issue with an old SBS 2003 server at a customers site. The server works fine. Exchange work fine all the time. File and Print sharing though ceases to work at random periods of the day. The only known solution is to reboot the server. They recently had issues with licensing where they didn't have any installed but had 20 or so users. They have recently updated the server so it now has 25 user licences available. The server reports that 14 are currently in use.

I have no idea where to look. The server has nothing in the event logs that give us a clue as to why this is happening. I assume its licence related as it is only File and Print sharing. It also appears that people cannot authenticate with the domain.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Re: Users cannot access server

could be a networking problem as well
    ________
    Honda cr250r
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:58.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Why would Exchange, Internet Access, RDP, AntiVirus etc etc all work?
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Is the server in "Per Server" or "Per Device/User" licensing mode?

"Per Server" is, as far as I know, the only mode that will deny access. "Per Device/User" will never deny access.

Also, have you looked at the Event Viewer (Run >> eventvwr) for any anomalous events around the time that people are denied access?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
          I have an issue with an old SBS 2003 server at a customers site. The server works fine. Exchange work fine all the time. File and Print sharing though ceases to work at random periods of the day. The only known solution is to reboot the server. They recently had issues with licensing where they didn't have any installed but had 20 or so users. They have recently updated the server so it now has 25 user licences available. The server reports that 14 are currently in use.

I have no idea where to look. The server has nothing in the event logs that give us a clue as to why this is happening. I assume its licence related as it is only File and Print sharing. It also appears that people cannot authenticate with the domain.

Which A/V are you running (if any) on the server?
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Im not sure what licensing mode they use. I will look later.

Their AV is Symantec Endpoint Protection

Comment

According to various sites SBS runs in Per Server mode.

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post

Their AV is Symantec Endpoint Protection
                I thought as much, which is why I asked the question. DL their MR2 (maintenance release 2) software and it will fix your problem.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Downloading now. What makes you think its Endpoint Protection then? I personally hate Symantec and have been moving customers to Sophos. Sadly this customer has a few months left of Symantec.
                  Last edited by ]SK[; 23rd June 2008, 14:11. Reason: Wording

Comment

Ugh seems they are already MR2. My mistake.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                    X