Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing External IP Address

Hello All,

Planning to relocate 2003 server, will have new ISP so my external IP will change. This box is running a webserver and excahnge.
    I know I will need to update the ip with my dns provider.

What else will I need to update on this box?

any link or step-by-step will be helpful.

Thanx
    Sizz

Re: Changing External IP Address

Is the rest of the network moving as well and are you using (I hope) a private address scheme?

In theory any changes will just be done on the router/firewall not the Exchange server.
    For outbound info Exchange/IIS will just pass it to the router to send out. For inbound your MX record point mail to the new IP address you setup with your ISP.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for your response AndyJG247,

A friend is asking me to do this move, I never touched the box before.
      The reason I asked about changes on the box is because I've hosted a site in the pass on Apache with dynamic IP ( yea I should have used dynamic dns but it wasn't a critical issue then), and when the external IP changed, I had to update it in the Apache conf file in addition to updating my dns.

Thanks again

Sizz

Comment

What IP address does it have? The first octet should be enough, if you have 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.16-32.x.x then it is an internal address and the device providing your internet connection NATs the public address that is changing to the private address. Therefore only the router/firewall needs to be updated.
        If it is a public address then I would find out why.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

If it is only the ISP being changed, then nothing should have to be changed on the modem/router/firewall since the only thing changing is the external IP. What you will need to do is change the A & MX Records to reflect the new IP. Your ISP should be able to assist you with this unless you have a Management Console that allows you to control and modify your own settings.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Since this is the SBS forum I'll assume that we're talking about an SBS server.

If this is the Premium version and setup with the SBS server as the gateway (using ISA) then the external IP on the SBS server will need to be changed. If you have another router/modem/firewall doing the NAT then the IP will need to be changed on that.

For the DNS records, see if you can find out what IP you'll be assigned from the ISP(if you haven't already) and add an additional MX record for that IP at least 48 hours before the change over. That way there won't be any delay while the new record propagate throughout the Internet.

Once you make the change over and things are working then you can remove the old MX record.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post

If this is the Premium version and setup with the SBS server as the gateway (using ISA) then the external IP on the SBS server will need to be changed.
              Jeremy

FYI VERY few SBS boxes have their external NICs connecting directly to the internet - they are usually done by some simple NAT firewall/Router. Of course, it is now public that in SBS 2008 ISA is going away and so is the dual-NIC scenario. So we will all have to get used to building SBS with a strong firewall at the edge. Though, those of us that buy Premium could still put ISA on the Second Server, but it would have to be managed alone without the integration we are used to.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                If it is only the ISP being changed, then nothing should have to be changed on the modem/router/firewall since the only thing changing is the external IP.
                I was going for: If it is a PIX firewall for example you would have to change the static and acl commands as they reference the public IP.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  Jeremy

FYI VERY few SBS boxes have their external NICs connecting directly to the internet - they are usually done by some simple NAT firewall/Router. Of course, it is now public that in SBS 2008 ISA is going away and so is the dual-NIC scenario. So we will all have to get used to building SBS with a strong firewall at the edge. Though, those of us that buy Premium could still put ISA on the Second Server, but it would have to be managed alone without the integration we are used to.
                  Yes, yes. I actually don't know of anyone that has their SBS server setup as the gateway but I just wanted to play devil's advocate.

Thanks Steven.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                    I was going for: If it is a PIX firewall for example you would have to change the static and acl commands as they reference the public IP.
                    I think we have established by now that there is usually no work to be done on the SBS - but you can UUTFW to connect to the Internet one more time just to be sure, and probably update the ISP's DNS servers.

All other work involves updating DNS records for the host and any appropriate work on the edge firewall/router.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I've done this before with both installation scenarios, single and dual NIC. If you have a router, just change the IP on the router. If there is no router, you change the IP in the external NIC configuration. In both cases, you'll need to update your DNS records with whatever organization hosts DNS.

Comment

Working...
                      X