Migration from SBS2003 to Enterprise2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from SBS2003 to Enterprise2003

In the next few weeks I will migrating from small business server 2003 standard to 2003 server Enterprise and Exchange 2007 standard… this migration will be tough but here is the run down for what I will be doing.

First I took over this network few weeks ago and they had serious problems. Such as an Exchange edb that was 85 gig and still running. An SBS that is overly whelmed with many applications (running out of space). Also, Mailboxes that are over 10 gig in size and remote profiles that are well above 4 gigs. I took care of all these problems, archived for them and freed a lot of space on the server. Took care of the error log and solved all minor and big problems.

Now we are migrating because I want an edb that does not have limitation and multiple mailbox stores. Also, SBS server is not the right choice for them since they are growing rapidly and they would like to open other offices.

I am going to setup new domain for them in a stand alone environment, configure exchange then migrate users one by one. I have setup domains before and exchange servers however, I have never migrated users/machines from old domain to new one (the old domain name is wrong “domain1”) go figure.

I am thinking about testing the new domain/exchange then setting up trust between the 2 domains and then migrating users/machines step by step… what do you guys think?

I heard that creating a trust then stopping it after the migration is complete could cause the domain to keep looking for the other domain. How does SBS deal with trust?

What should I watch out in this migration? I am doing a lot of research and testing however, any ideas thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Re: Migration from SBS2003 to Enterprise2003

SBS Domains cannot create trusts with other domains (AFAIK) it's an technical limitation due to the max 75 user limit for SBS

I have heard of SBS 2003 Transition Pack which is designed to migrate from SBS to an normal 2k3 server domain.

http://blogs.technet.com/moloyt/arch...tion-pack.aspx

Comment

okay so I cant create trust between the old domain and new domain great :0

now what is the idea or step can I take to migrate then?

2003 sbs sp2 to 2003 standard server and exchange 2007

I want to migrate mail boxes and users/computers.

I was going to use ADMT V3 after the trust is created and then move the mailboxes but now with no trust i am dead in the water.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mayer View Post
        okay so I cant create trust between the old domain and new domain great :0

now what is the idea or step can I take to migrate then?

2003 sbs sp2 to 2003 standard server and exchange 2007

I want to migrate mail boxes and users/computers.

I was going to use ADMT V3 after the trust is created and then move the mailboxes but now with no trust i am dead in the water.

thanks
        The link i gave you describes an package from MS that actually downgrades the SBS 2003 server to an normal Server2003, and the it has the capability to create trusts with other domains

you should find more on google about SBS 2003 Transition Pack it's especially made for that what you want to do, it even goes as far that you can migrate the exchange server from SBS to an other Server

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Microsof...ard:1991379236

50$ with 5 cal's
        Last edited by RonaldM; 18th June 2008, 22:46.

Comment

Originally posted by RonaldM View Post
          The link i gave you describes an package from MS that actually downgrades the SBS 2003 server to an normal Server2003, and the it has the capability to create trusts with other domains

you should find more on google about SBS 2003 Transition Pack it's especially made for that what you want to do, it even goes as far that you can migrate the exchange server from SBS to an other Server

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Microsof...ard:1991379236

50$ with 5 cal's
          I understand, I went through the article and it made things clear. However, I hardly doubt its ~$50 because many IT's would have just bought SBS2003 and used $50 to upgrade to STD this does not make sense... am I wrong???

Thanks

Comment

$50 is the wrong price its $3K for SBS2003 Premium

NICCCEEEE

Comment

$50 is the wrong price its $3K for SBS2003 Premium

NICCCEEEE
              Good luck, you'll need it

Comment

Mayer, I think you may find that the price is only for the 5 CALS and NOT the Server software. Be careful and make sure you purchase legal software otherwise you will not be able to receive support or upgrades from Microsoft.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Mayer, I think you may find that the price is only for the 5 CALS and NOT the Server software. Be careful and make sure you purchase legal software otherwise you will not be able to receive support or upgrades from Microsoft.
                  Yes of course, Its a big business thats been using SBS forever. Of course I need luck here...

they will have to buy it no way around it.

but 3K is ALOT

Enterprise was $2600

Comment

Yes of course, Its a big business thats been using SBS forever. Of course I need luck here...

they will have to buy it no way around it.

but 3K is ALOT

Enterprise was $2600
                    Too bad they have such an weird domain name otherwise you just could keep on using that SBS server, you could even migrate the SBS serverroles to another dedicated server(s) and keep the SBS server as an DC.

Comment

but 3K is ALOT

Enterprise was $2600
                      The Transition Pack is priced so that you do not lose out on buing SBS then transitioning to separate products. So if you transition SBS Standard with 15 users (+10 CALS) it should cost you no more than Windows 2003 Server Standard + 10 Server CALS with Exchange Server 2003 + 10 Exchange CALS (each server includes 5 CALS). Then you can upgrade to enterprise editions at upgrade prices etc.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X