sbs 2003 without active directory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs 2003 without active directory

i installed sbs 2003 on a HP ProLiant server but i cancled the AD installation because the buisnes needs the server as a file server only and they work with XP Home. after a week the server started to shut down itself every hour. i checked event viewer and i got an error like this
    event id: 1014 sbCore
    i googled it and found that sbs has to bee configured as a DC (domain controler) if not after 7 days it will start shutting itself down every 60 minutes.
    my question is if it is possible to work with sbs 2003 without AD because i dont want to start with security permissions and stuff

Re: sbs 2003 without active directory

No -- you need to buy Server 2003 Standard Edition

Have you used SBS before -- most of the security is taken care of for you if you UTFW
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It would be a problem with XP Home though.

As Ossian states you need 2003 server not SBS.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Why would it be a problem with XP Home? It would just be a PITA as you can't join them to a domain and every time you wanted to connect to the server, you would have to supply a username password.
        In spite of that why would anyone by HOME edition to run in a BUSINESS - beats me? Either buy Standard Server as others suggest - but then you have to set security appropriately on every station - or buy XP PRO version for all stations and run with a proper domain and SSO (single sign on)
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

This is a violation of the EULA and cannot be condoned.
          As per the rules of the forum.....

9) No illegal stuff, no software sharing, cracking, hacking or other illegal activities

Questions or answers with such items will be deleted by the moderator, and cause your account to be banned for life.

Just to make myself clear: Asking a question about a serial number for any program is illegal. Giving such a serial is illegal. Asking about Windows Activation and how to change a CD-key for XP is ok, but asking how to bypass the activation process or the Windows Genuine Check is not legal.

No, braindumps are NOT legal. You might get away with just talking about them, but you will be deleted if you post questions from actual dumps or provide links to such dumps or to companies that offer dumps for money.
          You have been warned.
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

ok.. sorry....

but what part of it was illegal?

was it ok if only posted the link?....

I want to know for the next time.....

Comment

oh OK i got it
              the sbs EULA
              i didnt see that in the begining.......

im new to tech forums

ill get used to it...

but lets just say thats its possible to work with sbs 2k3 without active directory.....

sorry again about the violation.....

Comment

Originally posted by bigt0 View Post
                oh OK i got it

but lets just say thats its possible to work with sbs 2k3 without active directory.....
                Lets also say you can work with Vista/XP or Photoshop without licenses either! Does that mean we publish how to do it here?
                As you see from the rules that is a big NO!
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

so... if there is someone thats realy has to make this work, mail me at the two addresses below.
                  \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Comment

Again you are violating the EULA.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I was once asked to do some relatively simple stuff on an SBS server that some other IT company had installed. OK I thought.

Then I discovered they had installed it as a workgroup server only, I found that DHCP & DNS wasn't there and AD didn't exist (dunno how they did that), Exchange and most stuff didn't work at all, except simple file and folder sharing. It was a total mess.

The simple task I was supposed to achieve turned into a nightmare.

So, apart from the EULA stuff, if you are considering trying to install SBS and not having AD and DNS properly functioning, my tehcnical advice is to forget it!!!

My dad was a carpentner and his wise advice was always to use the right tool for the job
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.
                      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
                      X