Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS job??

Hi

I was thinking for a job of becoming a SBS administrator.

What would be involved?

What training would I need/have to take?

What courses would I need to do before I can start that course ETC ETC.

I have just left High school and I might be going to college next year.

I live in Spring Texas Houston

Thanks
    Andy
    Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Re: SBS job??

You would need the sort of experience that would make it unnecessary to ask those questions.

You'll need to start at the bottom (Helpdesk, Desktop Support etc) and work your way up - that's the way the IT industry works. Administrator of a Windows Domain is an extremely responsible position and is not offered (in general) to fresh graduates.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Helpdesk, as painful as it can be, is usually the best way to work towards being an admin. If you are thinking of the design side then you can get away with theory courses.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by andysullman View Post
        Hi

Although SBS administrator is a great job, I wouldn't limit myself to something so specific. You should have general Windows Server skills as well as desktop experience - so develop those. Get yourself a trial machine with LOTS of RAM. Learn to install systems into Virtual Machines. Practice and destroy, then when you have seen a few systems, enroll in a couple of courses or do them online for Server 2008 and Vista/XP. Download the public beat of SBS 2008 and trial versions of other software. Meanwhile get some work experince in any way you can for about half a year, do the courses and by the end of 12 months you should be quite markettable.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by andysullman View Post
          Hi

What would be involved?

What training would I need/have to take?

What courses would I need to do before I can start that course ETC ETC.

I have just left High school and I might be going to college next year.

I live in Spring Texas Houston

Thanks
          Andy
          Any replies are greatly appreciated.
          I think, to start with, play with the products, get to know it, and maybe do the MSCA courses/exams.

Comment

Working...
          X