Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dhcp error exsiting network found

Hi

I have just tried to connect to the internet wizard in SBS 2008 and I get a error saying A external DHCP is running on your network at XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. Stop the external DHCP Server, and then click continue to try agin.

I don't know what to do Please help

I am using a VMware worksation

Also I will attach a picture sorry for the quaility.

Thanks

Andy.

Re: Dhcp error exsiting network found

You are using a VM? Is there another DHCP server in the network? If so, SBS will not be able to set up itself a sa DHCP server and will fail.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      You are using a VM? Is there another DHCP server in the network? If so, SBS will not be able to set up itself a sa DHCP server and will fail.
      Hi

There is not another DHCP Server anyware else. Also I am using static Ip with a Linksys Wireless G routor with 4 ports. I have gone to all of the pcs to turn oof the DHCP but still no luck.

Thanks

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by andysullman View Post
        Hi

There is not another DHCP Server anyware else. Also I am using static Ip with a Linksys Wireless G routor with 4 ports. I have gone to all of the pcs to turn oof the DHCP but still no luck.

Thanks

Andy
        Are you using a NAT or Host Only model in VMWare ?
        If they exist, then you have a DHCP server in VMWare.
        Better disable those.

Comment

Does the Linksys Wireless Router have its DHCP turned off?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Set youre computer to DHCP, if it get's an DHCP adress then there is an DHCP server on youre network (and you can see the IP adress off the DHCP server)

If it doesn't get an DHCP adress then there is an DHCP server in youre VM

Comment

Originally posted by andysullman View Post
              Hi

Thanks

Andy
              Have you ever configured or been in your Linksys routers Settings?

By default Linksys routers have a DHCP Server, turned ON you'll need to log in (usually by browsing to your gateways IP) and enter your credentual's your documentation (on the install CD or downloaded from the Linksys Site) can direct you further - Only turn off DHCP don't mess with the Firewall or Port Forwarding until you understand your network better

Comment

This is more than likely down to the configuration of his virtual machine. From what he describes it appears his "bridged" the network connection to the local host as opposed to "host only". In this scenario its best to keep the VM entirely away from the production network. If the connection is bridged then it will use the designated DHCP to assign an IP address to the nic that comes built into Vmware workstation. if he changes it to "host only" it will be completely separate from the "actual" network. Adsing to this he could go into "manage virtual Networks" within Vmware and simply turn the DHCP feature off or stop the service or change the DHCP scope to another subnet.

Open up a command prompt and type netsh, then dhcp show server. This will show you how many windows servers are authorised as DHCP`s on that subnet. Failing that i guess you could get really granular and use network monitor to find where the broadcast packets are coming from
                Last edited by scurlaruntings; 8th July 2008, 14:46.

Comment

Working...
                X