No announcement yet.

Reinstall SBS 2000

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstall SBS 2000

the drive on our server that was running SBS 2000 crashed on us. we managed to take the backup of it after it failed.the last full backup we have is a few weeks old.

so we made our Backup Domain Controller running Windows 2000 server Service pack 4 as the PDC.

reinstalling SBS doesn't seem straight forward.Firstly, I cannot install Active Directory without being in the domain, it says setup has detected a duplicate DNS Domain Name on the network(which is correct becoz the server crashed on an existing domain). it cannot continue with the setup when joined to the domain as well.

when I join the new computer(on which sbs2000 is being reinstalled) to the existing domain, ADMT does not work says i need to transfers users & computers using different domains.

would the best way be to install a new domain and transfer users and computers from the PDC?

any clues on this would be great.

thank you.

Re: Reinstall SBS 2000

First of all, why are you reinstalling a system which is 8-9 yrs old and no longer supported? Also, AD there are only DC's not PDC's.

Now for Adding SBS to existing domain. Although it written for 2003, it will probably work for 2000.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.