X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Administration/Access errors

server: sbs 2003 R2
    clients involved: xp sp2

I have about 7 users that I experience this issue with. I am unable to remotely connect to their PC. When I try, I get this error: "Connectivity to the remote computer could not be established. Ensure that the remote computer is on and connected to the windows small business server network"

Also, when I try to view these same user's event logs from the servers, I get this error: "Unable to connect to the computer "COMPUTERNAME". The error was: The network path was not found"

When I go into the DHCP and look at the address leases, I can't even ping these users' computers. Yet, they are working on the network just fine seemingly.

Any ideas on what may be going on? If more info is needed, please let me know.
    Last edited by noRulez43; 27th May 2008, 15:58.

Re: Remote Administration/Access errors

Windows firewall (or other) maybe?

If the firewall is off then have a look at an IP address locally on one of the clients and see if it matches that in DNS.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I just checked and the IP matches between what the client PCs are reporting and what the DHCP leases show on the server. I also checked the McAfee firewall settings on those machines and they are not blocking anything.

Comment

Can the machines ping the server? If so then it seems likely the firewall is still to blame. Can you try disabling the windows (if still enabled) and Mcafee firewall to test? It seems the most likely answer.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          Can the machines ping the server? If so then it seems likely the firewall is still to blame. Can you try disabling the windows (if still enabled) and Mcafee firewall to test? It seems the most likely answer.
          Thank you very much Andy. It was a firewall setting upon further inspection. For some reason their machines were set to be on an 'Untrusted Network'. Changing that solved the problem! Thanks again!

Comment

No problem. Thanks for posting back that it was fixed.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Working...
            X