Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Help required

Hi Guys

I need help desperately. I have a failed sbs server. the machine failed on me and i had to re-install to another box. I do have a few questions with regards to restoring exchange and ad. I have an exchange backup (thank god) and also an AD backup. Now i recreated AD from scratch using the sbs wizard. All good. I then restored the exchange databases and mounted the stores. I can see the mailboxes in the mailbox store. Problem is Im lazy to recreate the ad accounts. can i restore just the ad part of the ntbackup which is actually a SS backup? Or should i recreate the user accounts and then will I be able to purge the mailboxes to the new AD Accounts. Please advise me on the best and cleanest solution. Also we have an ISA server that sits in a dmz. There are two nics, 1 for internal and another for external. The rules have been created very lightly and the connection verifiers are all green. problem here is that the domain machines cannot connect to the internet. I can see the request going out n monitoring on ISA but the page returns "Page cannot be displayed" The domain machines resolve nslookup requests and i can ping websites. Please advise. Im having this problem for 2.5 days and am going crazy trying to resolve it. Any help will be appreciated. Googlin has confused me very badly as m a novice..

Thanks

Sohail

Re: SBS Help required

Hello Sohail

In order to restore AD u wud need to restore the complete System State...There are work arounds too but the success rate is bare minimum...In order to restore the AD part only u wud need to restore ur SS to an alternate location and manually copy the required files.

But again since now the H/W has also changed i wud not suggest this option.as restore wud require the same SP level and same hardware..The best possible option wud be to manually recreate the AD accounts possibly with same alias and reconnect them to their mailboxes...

I am not clear about the ISA part..Since ur ISA is in the DMZ...have u configured it as a back to back firewall?sounds somewhat like a routing issue..check ur n/w rules..If we cud have netmon trace that cud help me out to check the problem..

Regards

Fazal..
    Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Originally posted by somoolla View Post
      Please advise. Im having this problem for 2.5 days and am going crazy trying to resolve it. Any help will be appreciated. Googlin has confused me very badly as m a novice..

Thanks

Sohail
      Best advice I can give is hire a professional. Find one in your area, who can hold your hand and explain what you read in Google. You can restore a system state successfully - it just needs practice and experience.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I decided to manually create the accounts in AD and then restored the exchange mailboxes and reconnect them. This workd fine. ISA server is setup and so is the AD server. I have ran the ICW and can now connect to the net and receive mails. I am experiencing a problem sending mails though. On ISA its giving me a denied connection under SMTP. I have created an outgoing smtp rule that allows smtp traffic from the internal network to external network. The denied is not hitting this rule in ISA. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks

Comment

OK this is not strictly SBS, since we are talking about a seprate ISA server and not one installed as part of Premium on the SBS server, but I would say that ISA has a "wizard" on how to publish a mail server. Run that, follow the instructions and you should be good to go.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

The wizard will setup inbound mail correctly. For outbound you are either going to allow everything out or if you want a specific rule, because you block everything but your chosen allows, then you need to make sure it is everything to destination port 25 you setup as source port is random above 1024
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
            X