Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Domain Firewall blocking client VNC/ping

Hi all,

I got two pc's 1 on the domain and 1 off the domain.
    The one off the domain (no firewall enable) can ping outside it's subnet, but the one on the domain can't ping outside domain.

Goal is to connect to a client XP using VNC that's on a different Subnet B.

I've tried disabling the firewall domain policy on the server and then using gpupdate /force on the client PC, but still not able to ping outside subnet.
    I've also tried using netsh firewall command to disable to firewall locally but still have no joy!!

Should I move the client pc to a different OU and create a new domain policy for it without a firewall?

Any ideals would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Paul

Re: SBS 2003 Domain Firewall blocking client VNC/ping

Dear Paul

My first question..how many NICs are there on SBS box..If one....then by any chance do we have NAT basic firewall on..make sure its disabled..

How did u disable the SBS firewall?

Goto start>Run

Dsa.msc > Right click ur domain. > click group policy > open > sbs windows firewall >
    computer configuration > administrative templates > network > network configuration
    > windows firewall > domain profile > windows firewall : protect all network
    connections.

Run Gpupdate /force...does it give the successfull event id in the eventvwr..I dont remember the ID..but event itself says the policy has been applied.

Try using msconfig to disable all third party services and try..

Regards

Fazal
    Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Thanks Fazal,

1 NIC is on the SBS box, but I've set client pc gateway to point to a router (not to SBS box) which is attached to a leased line to our Head office. so no firewall involved.

I was disabling the whole SBS firewalll policy, but I try your way and ran gpupdate on the client and saw it appear in event viewer. So changes have taken effect on the client.

Also I used msconfig to disable all mcafee anti-virus stuff, but still can not ping out side subnet!!

Any other ideas to narrow down this problem?

thanks again
      paul
      Last edited by pan; 22nd May 2008, 11:58. Reason: typo

Comment

Hii

Lets first make sure whether its the SBS domain or the client machine itself?

Can SBS ping the external subnet?
        Wot if the we login to the domain machine locally?
        Try joining the working machine to the domain to check the behavoiur?
        Have we disabled the firewall/ics service itself on the non working machine?

The last option wud be to get a netmon trace while ur using vnc to get the exact problem where we are being blocked.

Regards

Fazal
        Fazal Zaidi
        MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Working...
        X