SBS03 Checklist incomplete, replacing machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS03 Checklist incomplete, replacing machine

I inherited a client who has SBS03 incompletely installed, and needs to replace their server. Their previous tech never completed the installation to do list when he installed it three years ago. It isn't even doing DHCP on the network, IECW never ran, Exchange not handling any mail, etc. It appears to be basically a Windows 2000 computer sharing files in a peer to peer network. No updates have ever been installed in three years.
    Now that a mirrored drive failed, the client was able to boot to the spare drive and bought a new pre-installed SBS03 from Dell and called me to do the migration/install asap this weekend.
    I intend to use the Swing Migration, but wonder what landmines I might expect to find in the process. Can I even do this? Should I complete the todo list on the existing server first?
    Email clients are all using pop3 on an external server, and local pst's on each workstation.
    Has anyone been here before?

Re: SBS03 Checklist incomplete, replacing machine

I have been there, but not as bad situation.
    In your case there is nothing to swing, just copy the files. There is not much else to it.
    If they have a copy of SBS03 you may be able to recycle that and return the OEM from dell.
    I never use the Dell preinstall anyway.....
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

.........and if your clients are like mine, there are all kind of apps (3rd part) that run on it that there do not know anything about
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I think I can salvage the CALS, and yes there is a critical business app (BusinessWorks) in the mix too. Here we go...
        I'll get all the backups I can.
        How about the shares? Can I migrate them? I'll find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          I never use the Dell preinstall anyway.....
          I agree - last time I used a pre-installed Dell SBS we had issues with the RAID controller driver and (after numerous calls to the helpdesk) we ended up re-installing (which was the quickest solution as the server wasn't live yet anyway)... Just my two cents.

L.

Comment

And they called it the "15-minute install"
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Now I find out the new server they bought is actually just Windows Server 2003 - no SBS. Hummmm.

Comment

Working...
              X