X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change the Scope of DHCP

Hi,

I am using DHCP server with the scope 192.168.5.0
    My scope is getting full and I need some more IP address.
    How can I extend my scope?
    Do I need to change subnet mask?

Thanks for your help
    Svaibh

Re: Change the Scope of DHCP

You can extend the scope by right-clicking on the scope and changing the start and end IP address in the Properties. However, if you want to change the subnetmask you'll need to create a new scope. Changing the subnet on an existing scope is not possible.

Grtz

Lukas

Comment

Hi Lukas,
      My current scope option is 192.168.5.11 to 192.168.5.254 With Subnet as 255.255.255.0
      Can I give the new scope option as 192.168.5.11 to 192.168.6.254 without changing the subnet?

I had already excluded some ips for use as static IP. from 5.250 to 5.254. an I continue excluding the same into the new scope also?
      Thanks
      Svaibh

Comment

Your subnet mask doesn't allow that. In your case 192.168.5 is the network id with only the last octet as the host ID. So by doing that you'll be putting your computers in different subnets.

You'll have to subnet your range as class B, and not as class C (Max 254 hosts) if I'm not mistaken.

e.g.:
        Subnet mask would be 255.255.0.0 with subnet ID of first two octets (192.168.)
        In that way your range would be 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.254 which is ofcourse very large (more then 65000 hosts per subnet).

You can calculate what range and mask you need with a subnet calculator
        http://www.subnet-calculator.com/ by specifying the number of hosts you need in a specific range.

Grtz

Lukas

Comment

Originally posted by svaibh View Post
          Hi,

I am using DHCP server with the scope 192.168.5.0
          My scope is getting full and I need some more IP address.
          How are you using so many addresses on SBS? 75 computers max with 244 addresses available on DHCP scope? Please explain!
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X