WSUS on SBS 2003 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS on SBS 2003 R2

I just installed a new sbs2003 config'ed WSUS and 1 week later I have a 2GB datbase and 10,000 downloaded updates......anything i can do to shrink this down?

Re: WSUS on SBS 2003 R2

Which version of WSUS?

Note that 2Gb is pretty small -- I have 65Gb for all updates in English only, with 16000 updates (this is WSUS3 SP1)

You should check which languages and products you are using -- go to WSUS options -- and trim this as much as possible. If you want, you can not download any, just approve and let the clients download directly from MS

Also, if you are so short on disk space that 2Gb is critical to you, seriously consider adding more sorage -- it is so cheap there is almost no excuse no to!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just installed a sbs2003 server 3 weeks ago. The c:\ is 25GB large and has 10GB free.....thought that WSUS was filling it up.

I would like to get rid of WSUS altogether - there is only 6 users on the SBS 2003 and I really don't find a need to manage updates..........

Comment

Just uninstall it through "add remove programs"

Remember to go into Group Policies and reverse anything that is pointing clients at the WSUS site instead of Windows update
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by hfctpl View Post

I would like to get rid of WSUS altogether - there is only 6 users on the SBS 2003 and I really don't find a need to manage updates..........
          So how will you patch your computers and make sure they are up to date?
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

they can do it themselves - there's only 8 users.

Comment

Fair enough - if you rely on them to patch their computers when and as needed. Remember, you will need to go round all the computers from time to time to ensure they are fully patched - or, on th eother hand, they don't apply patches/updates which are incompatible with their hardware/software configuration.
              The good thing about WSUS is it gives you MANAGEMENT which you are responsible for. Also if you live in AUS or NZ, it saves you money as you pay for the download only once - not once per machine.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I'd like to remove WSUS 2.0 sp1 all together - database/logs......

If I remove everything will anything else be impacted?

Comment

WSUS is imp[ortant part of SBS network these days .. I would not uninstall it .. as was said here .. it gives you management rule... I think you did not configure the setting correct way on your WSUS and this is causing you the trouble

Here is usefull reading: http://msmvps.com/blogs/athif/archiv...US-Server.aspx

Some tools for WSUS and how to purge all and un-needed patcjhes from your WSUS so you can save some space on HDD

The option "Download update files to this server only when updates are approved" must be checked / selected or else, it will re-download those "not needed" updates,during the next sychronization schedule.

Open WSUSAdmin Console - Click on Options - Click on Synchronization Options - Scroll down to Update Files and Languages Section - Click on Advanced - Click OK - Select "Download update files to this server only when updates are approved" - Click OK and save settings.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X