Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing a computer name from the management console.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing a computer name from the management console.

Is there anyway to change computer names via the management console on our sbs server?

By default sbs named our computers according to users I was adding, but looking back we'd rather have machine names that have no bearing on usernames and stick with our usual naming convention, ie name them all after vegetables

Re: Changing a computer name from the management console.

Originally posted by PaulClift View Post
    ie name them all after vegetables
    Oh come on! comparing users with vegetables is totally unfair....... on the vegetables

AFAIK you will have to rejoin to the domain with a different name (from the PC) but no doubt there's an SBS Wizard to take care of it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I suggest you delete the computers from ADUC, re run the create computers wizard, make sure you know the local admin password on each machine, dijoin them from the domain (join them to a workgroup) then run //<server>/connectcomputer on each one.
      When you initially run the create user wizard, you can choose the associated vegetable as the computer name and not accept the default given by the wizard.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks teiger, that worked perfectly.

Comment

Working...
        X