X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 migration to Windows Server 2003 Standard

Is it possible?

Re: SBS 2000 migration to Windows Server 2003 Standard

The migration is very much possible.If you are planning to use the same hardware then there would be a different path alltogether as theres no upgrade path from SBS 2000 to Win2k3.you would have to upgrade to sbs 2003 and apply transition pack.

If we have a different hardware we can follow KB 884453.The KB article talks about going from windows 2003 to an SBS 2003 or SBS 2003 to SBS 2003(New H/W).But the steps remain the same as in joining the Windows 2003 machine to SBS 2000 domain,DCpromo it.,transfer FSMO roles and wait for replication.Once the user accounts are transfered you may start with Exchange.ideally if we have the same domain and same Exchange org name and same service pack level for exchange we can just copy over the stores and mount them and connect them to the respective users...

The SBS later needs to be removed as SBS would start rebooting if it doesnot have all FSMO roles!!!

Incase you wish to use a different domain name for we may use the ADMT tool(downloadable from MS site)..Exchange Migration Tool can be used for migration or even Exmerge would be a good idea..

Hope this Helps

Regards

Fazal
    Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

thank your for guiding me. i'm now on the process of planning using the ideas you gave. thanks.

Comment

Basically, you can do as Fazal suggests, but you will end up with a different server name. Swing Migration is similar, but preserves your server name (for shares, printers and other configurations). WRT Exchange, you can "forklift" () the databases, if you preserve the Exhange Organisation name. In other words, copy the databases from the old server to the new server, and bring them online as if from an Offline backup.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

What I did was I adprep /forestprep the SBS 2000 Domain.

And then I Installed Windows Server 2003 Standard to the new hardware. Added it as Additional Domain Controller for SBS 2000 domain.

So far it is now replicated(or still replicating I just have to wait til tomorrow to be sure full replication takes place).

By the way, I only needed the Users and Groups and OU's. Exchange and SQL Server is not in use.

So now, how do I get rid SBS 2000? and make the "Windows Server 2003 Additional DC" the new "Primary DC / Forest"?

Comment

As far as I understand Windows 2003 is now an ADC and replication has started between Windows 2003 and SBS 2000..Make sure we donot have any NTDS errors or any replication errors in the eventvwr.

As per ur post u said u are not using exchange?But is it there installed on the SBS machine..?If it is make sure it is uninstalled.

Have we transfered the FSMO roles?Check this KB
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

-Transfer all five FSMO roles from SBS 2000 to ur new server.
            -
            Once u are sure the above steps are performed,we may dcpromo down the SBS server.
            Once dcpromod down ...disconnect sbs from the network..

Now log on to ur Windows 2003 server and do a metadata cleanup to remove all refernces of the old server if left out.(Rarely after successfull dcpromo)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498

Thats it!!!

Regards

Fazal

Ta
            Fazal Zaidi
            MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Originally posted by fazal View Post
              As per ur post u said u are not using exchange?But is it there installed on the SBS machine..?If it is make sure it is uninstalled.
              Yes. Ok I will install it.

By the way, do I have to install DNS to the Windows Server 2003 Domain?

Comment

SURE enuf!!DNS has to be installed...If u r planning to install exchange on ur new server...even the exchange would not install without DNS.

Even if ur not planning to host exchange still we would need atleast one DNS server in ur domain for internet access.

IF we donot have any other DNS server in the domain,u need to configure the DNS on ur Windows Server 2003 only..

Check KB 323380:How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows Server 2003

Regards

Fazal
                Fazal Zaidi

Comment

Working...
                X