Add Windows 2003 SBS in Windows 2003 SBS Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Windows 2003 SBS in Windows 2003 SBS Domain

I have a Windows 2003 SBS domain running (Well!). I got new windows 2003 SBS server with MS SQL 2005 Std. installed. Prevviously this Windows 2003 SBS was installed as sepreate domain. I just domote the SBS windows 2003 SBS in the workgroup then joined the by running domin. It was added successfully but each time I am getting the added windows 2003 SBS server restarted and getting a messege in the event ever that the windows 2003 SBS should be domain controller.

Is ther any thoughts if i can get Windows 2003 SBS to be as member server in Windows 2003 SBS domain.

Plz post your kind thoughts!!

Re: Add Windows 2003 SBS in Windows 2003 SBS Domain

Like Highlander there can be only one (sbs 2003 server in a domain). You also cannot demote the SBS 2003 server for any significant amount of time.

Comment

You can only have one SBS in an Active Directory. SBS supports the addition of Windows 2000 and 20003 DC's, but they must not use SBS media. All non-SBS flavours of Windows 2000/2003 are supported. SBS must be the primary holder of Active Directory .. you add additional server to have a backup DC if you wish. SBS cannot be a member server.

Running Multiple Servers in a Windows Small Business Server Environment

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Add and Manage Additional Servers in a Windows Small Business Server Domain

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

Thanks Abakus for your such valueable information.

I tried to configure the SBS 2003 as Additional Domain in the exisiting SBS 2003 Domain. but still, I have the same issue of restarting but interval has changes and it is now restarting after 60 minutes. However I got some other Article which says that Windows 2003 SBS should be installed as Domain controller and then its role must be changed after 7 days of installation to configure SBS 2003 as memeber server or addistional domian controller....

Comment

You need to migrate teh previous SBS settings and data to the new one. PLease see various threads in the archives here about migration. you cannot do what you are trying to do.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X