Windows Home Server as an SBS Backup Solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Home Server as an SBS Backup Solution

Windows Home Server (WHS) has been out for some time now, and apart from using it myself for my family, I put it into use in an SBS production environment. It has the ability to cleverly image up to 10 machines in any one network, using an SIS (Single Instance Storage) mechanism at the block level.
    In the SBS environment, it means, with the help of a small piece of Connector software, I can image and backup my whole server every night, keeping a configurable set of backups over a period of time. Of course, it is a bit heavy on storage, but with 500Gb and 1 TB SATA drives becoming reasonably priced, cost is becoming a non-issue. With the WHS I also get a disk which will boot the machine, connect me to my WHS and select an image for restore. Great for Disaster Recovery scenarios.
    Contact me privately if you are interested in more info.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: Windows Home Server as an SBS Backup Solution

this would kind of work in a Windows std. domain environment too right?

and from memory, it's very cheap (like <$200 OEM)

Comment

WHS cannot connect to a domain without being hacked / modified beyond its design. In otherwords, Microsoft didn't give it the ability to join a domain, although there are ways...
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would'nt have thought the connector software would work on a server OS. Excellant idea BTW

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

wasn't the MSDPS created for that purpose?
          ________
          BUY VAPORIZERS
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:40.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            WHS cannot connect to a domain without being hacked / modified beyond its design. In otherwords, Microsoft didn't give it the ability to join a domain, although there are ways...
            WHS doesn't care about domains. Just works via its own connector software. Of course, since it is really a version of Win2K3 server underneath, you could join it to the domain in the regular way (no hack needed), but as I say, it is unnecessary and most importantly unsupported!.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X