Help Disabling Exchange Server 2003 on a SBS 2003 DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Disabling Exchange Server 2003 on a SBS 2003 DC

I have SBS 2003 DC and it has Exchange 2003 running on this server. I recently converted to Intermedia for a hosted solution for Exchange 2007.

The question I have is, can I stop Exchange Server from running by stopping the services, and will it effect anything else such as Active Directory on this machine?

Will stopping Exchange help the performance of this machine? Or, can I even uninstall Exchange from this server?

Re: Help Disabling Exchange Server 2003 on a SBS 2003 DC

Personally I feel you could uninstall it but I would wait for other comments. At worst you can change the services to manual and stop them. It will definitely help the performance of the server.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I wouldn't uninstall it - ever! Stop the services, yes. But remember your daily reports, alerts, fax, sharepoint and other applications on the server are all going to be affected.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

If you are not planning to use exchange on the SBS machine,u can easily go ahead and disable all exchange services.The problems that u may face would be the SBS wizards would fail,like CEICW,NEW user creation etc.

Incase u are used using these wizards I would suggest u completely remove exchange as if it was never there.Which is a manual uninstall of exchange..KB 833396 needs to be followed

SBS would function normally without exchange as long as we have all FSMO roles and its on the root of the forest

Regards

Fazal
        Fazal Zaidi
        MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Reading through this forum post makes me think it is safe to do. Of course I will keep researching. But I have a client who's server is running Exchange and Sharepoint but they have no use for those servers. Is it safe to disable these services or maybe even uninstall them to re-gain server performance? They really only use the server for domain authentication and storage. Thanks!

Comment

[rant]

I hate people who use SBS as Windows Server 2003 instead of as designed.

[/rant]

I would just set the services to disabled, but remember what you lose as stated above (reports, mainenance etc)
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X