SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 to new hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 to new hardware

Starting this migration sometime over the next few weeks - I really can't find any good documentation out there like I did for Server 2000 to Server 2003 - is there any look links out there for this swing migration besides sbsmigration.com?

Re: SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 to new hardware

In a word - NO! and how many hours work is $150-200 worth, exactly? C'mon, don't be a cheapskate
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

teiger is always so blunt with his answers.....always right too.

thanks.

Comment

KB 884453 wud be a good srticle to follow...but make sure the old SBS is retired within 7 days...

Regards

Fazal
        Fazal Zaidi
        MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Originally posted by fazal View Post
          KB 884453 wud be a good srticle to follow...but make sure the old SBS is retired within 7 days...
          Did you read the first two lines of that KB? In case you didn't, I'll paste them here for you:
          This article describes how to install a Microsoft Windows Small Business Server (SBS) 2003-based computer into an existing domain that does not currently have an SBS server (my bolding).

It goes on to tell you where the whitepapers for migration of SBS can be obtained - both of which IMnotsoHO are vastly inferior to swing migration.
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

I have followed this article for atleast thousands of SBS customers for migration during my tenure as a Subject Matter Expert at MS SBS,...
            Well I don't think u read my last line where I said the old SBS HAS TO BE RETIRED WITHIN 7 DAYZ...THOUGH U MIGHT BE KNOWING 2 SBS SERVERS WORK FINE FOR MAX 14DAYZ IN THE SAME DOMAIN....

Regards

Fazal
            Fazal Zaidi
            MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

I am VERY familiar with the 7 day limitation of having two SBS's in the same domain.
              Whilst that method works, Swing Migration preserves ALL data and settings on the old server until youdecide to cut over to the new one. In fact, when the organisation has had problems (usually with 3rd party apps), I have the old server preserved as a fully-functioning backup and have switched them back to it in the case of emergency or Disaster Recovery - something you cannot do with the method described in the KB. Apart from that, Swing preserves the Server name (for shares, printers, etc) and all other settings.
              You pays your money, you makes your choice!!
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Swing Migrations incase of SBS are not supported by MS..I have seen a very cases that were actually 100% successfull.There have been too many issues after swing migration,and thats the reason why we donot have any official white paper or KB from MS for swing migration.
                Though wot u say is correct that all third party apps,shares etc work fine in swing migration.. But since I had to follow the official guidelines I never reccomended swing migration..and KB 884453 is almost similar but yes since server name changes u have to work on shares,printers,third party apps etc...

Regards

Fazal
                Fazal Zaidi

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  In a word - NO! and how many hours work is $150-200 worth, exactly? C'mon, don't be a cheapskate
                  What if a third party installed an application on it ?
                  He has to come in and do the same install on the new server, which makes it more than 200 dollars

Comment

Since he is moving to new hardware, he has to reinstall the 3rd-party (LOB) app anyway - no extra cost.
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

Since he is moving to new hardware, he has to reinstall the 3rd-party (LOB) app anyway - no extra cost.
                      That is not what I said.
                      I said : What if a third party installed an application on it ?
                      That person has to come in and do the install again.

Comment

OK I didn't phrase it well.

Since the OP is moving to new hardware, he will have to pay the third party to come and re-install his application in any case.
                        TIA

sigpic

Comment

OK I didn't phrase it well.

Since the OP is moving to new hardware, he will have to pay the third party to come and re-install his application in any case.
                          If there would be a simple way to create an image and place that image on new hardware, that would not be necessary.
                          Ah well ... it may be possible to virtualize it though P2V and then make it physical again through V2P ?

Comment

Originally posted by ASS-Ware View Post
                            If there would be a simple way to create an image and place that image on new hardware, that would not be necessary.
                            IMHO NOT a good idea. Servers get "dirty" over a period of years. It's good to start with a "fresh" installation every 3-5 years and clear out the junk!
                            TIA

sigpic

Comment

IMHO NOT a good idea. Servers get "dirty" over a period of years. It's good to start with a "fresh" installation every 3-5 years and clear out the junk!
                              Hmm, yes and no.
                              I partly agree.
                              Some servers are installed with the right software and only patches after that.
                              In that case, they don't get dirty, do they ?

Comment

Working...
                              X