Need advice for IM/Chat server software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice for IM/Chat server software

I have a client who has no office, there are 11 employees who do consulting, they are either working from home or at client sites.

I host a SBS 2003 server for them, using exchange for email, and they access sharepoint as a sort of virtual office.

They would like an IM solution so they can chat during the day. It needs to be secure, and I would like for it to pull user account info from AD if possible. They also would like to be able to create a chat room so they can have online meetings to discuss whatever needs discussed.

Any ideas on what the best software is to do this? It needs to be something I can install on the SBS server, They dont want to spend money on more hardware. They dont use VPNs or anything, so they will be connecting via the internet.

Something that isnt going to take me weeks to set up would be nice as well.

If anyone has any thoughts on what is the best solution out there, let me know

Re: Need advice for IM/Chat server software

http://www.google.ie/search?q=jabber+server+for+windows
    ________
    Yamaha C40 Specifications
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:37.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

honestly, I followed that link for jabbar, and am not more confused.

The only product that seems like its what I want it jabbarnow, but thats an appliance. I dont want hardware.

I just want a software package I can install on my SBS 2003 server, and clients I can configure to connect to it.

Could you elaborate on what you were pointing me to with that link?

Comment

there are quite a few windows implementations of jabber, like ejabberd, that would connect to any jabber client (miranda, trillium, googletalk etc)
        ________
        IT490
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:37.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Would Microsoft OCS do the job for you? It needs its own server, probably but it is integrated to AD.

BTW I would check the legality of offering SBS services in the way that you mention. It may well be that you need an SPLA licensing agreement, unless you have legal advice on how you set it up.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I do consulting, I am a licensed service provider of microsoft solutions, so the legalities of it are not an issue.

Using another server is not an option, this company does not want to sink the money into additional hardware.

Comment

How about Openfire server and use Spark IM clients

http://www.cleartextsystems.com/comm...ve-openfire-im

Works nicelly!

Database Agnostic
              Open Schema - Openfire stores all data using an open database schema.
              Works with your chosen database - Use the embedded database for quick setup or connect Openfire to MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres, DB2, or Sybase.
              Integrated
              Directory - Connect Openfire to your LDAP or Active Directory server or use native Windows or Unix PAM authentication.
              Authentication - Pluggable authentication, user, and group systems make it easy to pull data from wherever it lives.
              Integration - Plug Openfire into your own custom authentication, user, and group systems by implementing simple Java interfaces

Public IM Gateways - Allows users to maintain contact with usrs of public IM networks like MSN, AIM, GTalk, ICQ etc
              Presence - OpenFire supports XMPP presence by resource name allowing users to be logged in from many locations or devices
              Security - Application security such as SSL and privacy functionality is built inScalability - OpenFire can run in clustered mode and with front end connection managers support 1000's of users
              Standards based (XMPP) - Built on industry standards to RFC's 3920 and 3921 ensures compatibilty with other XMPP/Jabber clients, servers and services like GTalk.
              File Transfers - Reduce email traffic and storage by streaming files directly from user to user
              Group Chat - Run multi-user chat sessions on your own private OpenFire server
              Web Administration - Easy to use web based administration with user, traffic, security and plugin configuration
              Client Options (Java, Flash, Web) - Use a platform independant (Spark) or web based chat client or choose one of many thirdt party Jabber clients.

Comment

Working...
              X