Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best disaster recovery option in case of new hardware ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best disaster recovery option in case of new hardware ?

Wat is the best disaster recovery method for SBS 2003 in case you need to use newer hardware ?

Let's assume you have an SBS 2003 server running for a few years and then the hardware breaks, the same hardware is no longer available, so you buy new hardware and want to do a disaster recovery on it.

How do you do that ?

Re: Best disaster recovery option in case of new hardware ?

Use StorageCraft or Acronis to image the server. Thay allow you to add/change drivers when you restore. Alternately, image to an IDE/SATA drive which you know you will always be able to transfer to your new hardware. When they are in the new hardware you can add the new drivers to the set and image to the new disk sub-system for production.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

BTW, another option is, (don't laugh) Windows Home Server which knows to take an image of your SBS on a daily basis and gives you a boot from CD, restore from several point in time option. It has already saved me a clients server a month after it went into production.
      TIA

sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        Use StorageCraft or Acronis to image the server. Thay allow you to add/change drivers when you restore. Alternately, image to an IDE/SATA drive which you know you will always be able to transfer to your new hardware. When they are in the new hardware you can add the new drivers to the set and image to the new disk sub-system for production.
        Is an option, yes, but in the past I have had problems booting a machine after placing the image back, driver issues with the RAID controller.

Comment

I have personally 2 solutions:
          1. Acronis Server True Image -- works and never failed on me ...besides very fast recovery -- I am creating weekely image of the server

2. I have created a virtual (VMWARE) copy of my life SBS -- so I have now also virtual copy of my SBS in VMWARE platform

- in case something really goes bad .. I am able (tested) redirect everyone to my Virtual SBS for the time I take care of the real SBS ..

Comment

Think I will go for VMWare permanently.
            Thnx.

Comment

The convertor tool is great for creating a poc lab as well for testing upgrades etc
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thnx a lot.

Comment

I definitely need something now
                  I have a full backup of all drives, system state and store of an SBS 2003 server.
                  The hardware died.
                  I tried installing SBS 2003 from scratch and do a restore, but the server won't boot, not normal and not in safe mode.
                  How on earth do I add the correct drivers to it so it will boot ?

Comment

You need a system which will allow you to add your disk sub-system drivers as you were told previously - or go the IDE route, as a temporary measure.
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                      You need a system which will allow you to add your disk sub-system drivers as you were told previously - or go the IDE route, as a temporary measure.
                      Sure, but that doesn't help me now, or does it ?

Comment

The IDE route does as windows will load these drivers natively. If you restore to a single disk it avoids any RAID driver requirements.
                        cheers
                        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

True, thank you, but we don't have an IDE disk here

Comment

Working...
                          X