No announcement yet.

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials

On an SBS 2003 SP2 server, at my own office, I have some webpages.
    1 of them, for example, www.test.nl.
    All computers on the web can access this website.

Now I have added a subfolder "secret" to the website and changed the permissions on that folder so that IUSR_Computername doesn't have access, only Administrators and System have access.

On the website I have Anonymous access and Windows Integrated authentication enabled.

When I browse to www.test.nl/secret, I get a pop-up, I type my user ID and password, and I am in.

This works for many PC's, but not the ones at 1 of my clients.
    All computers there can access www.test.nl, but www.test.nl/secret comes up with :
    HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.

Since it works on many computers, my guess is it's not an issue on the SBS server, but I could be wrong.

Does anybody have a clue ?

Re: HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials

Are you typing:

username
    password

OR

domain\username
    password

OR

[email protected]
    password

in the authentication box?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      Are you typing:

username
      password

OR

domain\username
      password

OR

[email protected]
      password

in the authentication box?
      I don't get a logon window at where I am now ...
      I get the error immediately.

Comment

Then it's likely to be browser security settings... review them and see what you come up with. However they are likely to have their browser settings done by GPO so you may have to involve their IT department.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Then it's likely to be browser security settings... review them and see what you come up with. However they are likely to have their browser settings done by GPO so you may have to involve their IT department.
          I work at the IT department but my department doesn't do anything with desktops.
          The security tab is not affected by policies.
          Can it have something to do with our proxy ?

Comment

It could do but it's more likely to be the browser security settings; review them against the settings of those places where it works.

Tom

Comment

It could do but it's more likely to be the browser security settings; review them against the settings of those places where it works.
              I have manually installed firefox at the site and that does come up with a pop-up, but whatever I type, the logon pop-box keeps coming back.
              Firefox show the site correctly at another site.

Comment

Working...
              X