CEICW on SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CEICW on SBS 2003

I know this is basic but I want to make sure I'm right.

My internal domain name is: domain.local

what is my Full Internet Domain Name?

www.domain.com
    mail.domain.com
    domain.local

Kinda confused......the website is www.domain.com

Re: CEICW on SBS 2003

If you haven't BOUGHT an internet domain name, then you don't have one. Go and buy one and buy "Domain Name Hosting" from someone... and then you'll have one.

Your internal DNS name for AD is not necessarily related in any way to your internet domain name... they are two separately managed things.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

AH, I have a client who's domain name is: abc.com. They have no server, and their email is hosted by their ISP, and they get to their webmail using this address: mail.abc.com

So if I put in a SBS2003 server w/o Exchange and I want them to use RWW - I would have to use a different internet domain name other than mail.adc.com -

maybe something like secure.abc.com?

Comment

OK... because your internal domain name is domain.local and there is no .local TLD on the Internet, your internal domain name will not work.

SO

You will have to buy an internet domain name, and pay someone to put it on their DNS server for you (with your server IP as the address), or register your own "live" DNS server on the internet. I suspect the first is the better option. If you are also hosting email, you will also need an MX record (and probably a reverse lookup record as well) on your DNS provider's server which points to your mail relay.

The external (Internet) domain name is totally divorced from your internal one; so if your internal name was xyz.local, your Internet name could be fgh.unitedstates.com. It simply doesn't matter that they're different (or what the names actually are) so long as the internet name is unique, and all the relevant DNS servers and web servers talk to each other properly.

Your friend sounds like he is using a name and DNS provided by his ISP - which is a totally different situation to an organisation.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I think we are missing things......let me explain....

ClientA - has no in house server. Website is www.abc.com. They access their email by using mail.abc.com.

If I put in a SBS 2003 server with a domain of abc.local. What should their full internet domain name be? I want them to use RWW in the future - so could I use secure.abc.com as their internet domain name - as long as their hosting company allows it?

Comment

Your "ClientA" is not currently hosting their own DNS, website or mail - so their situation NOW is irrelevant.

The SBS domain name you choose has no bearing whatever on your Internet domain name - they are in no way related to each other - so I cannot tell you from one what the other will be. For instance I was once working with a client using SBS whose internal domain name was dave.local. His internet domain however was dvcalcs.co.uk. (It's no longer his). HE HAD TO BUY HIS INTERNET DOMAIN NAME.

To get an internet domain name, you will have to buy one. Simple as that. If they already HAVE abc.com, then why not keep it? It can be whatever you want it to be, so long as it's not already taken by someone else.

As long as the www record and the "mail" MX record are in place on your Internet DNS - along with a reverse lookup record, then it will work.
            Last edited by Stonelaughter; 18th April 2008, 23:27.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the help so far - 1 more question:

Internal domain name is abc123.local. Internet domain name now is abc.com.

So if I put the full internet domain name as : sbs.abc.com - and have the isp add this as an A Record - will that be OK?

Mail.abc.com is already pointing to where their mail is being hosted.

Comment

Yup! <> <> <>

Tom

Comment

thanks - we are finally on the same page.

Comment

Working...
                  X