Setting up network printers....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up network printers....

I know there's probably 100 different ways to setup/install a network printer - but what is the best way everyone out there does it?

Do you setup the printers with Static and set exclusions? Use DHCP?

Re: Setting up network printers....

We use DHCP reservations, that way if the IP address ever needs to changed it can be done remotely and just get someone in the printer site location to switch it off and on again. If your printers have Jet Direct cards then I suppose you could manage them remotely as well.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Setting up network printers....

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      We use DHCP reservations, that way if the IP address ever needs to changed it can be done remotely and just get someone in the printer site location to switch it off and on again. If your printers have Jet Direct cards then I suppose you could manage them remotely as well.

Michael
      You know that you could just create the TCP/IP port with a name instead of an IP address, then you never have to mess with DHCP IP changes, and still use DHCP.

And that is basically what I do.

Also if your users print enormous print jobs don't designate the print server the SBS box, it ain't pretty. (ya I did that........)
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
      X