Sbs 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sbs 2008

From what i understand 2008 will not include support for 32 bit environments. Is this a practical solution when SME`s naturally have small IT budgets and wont understand the virtues of 64 bit computing nor will want to buy an expensive server when considering an upgrade?

Also the new version of windows backup doesn't support backups to tape? But only optical media and drive partitions? That seems a bit insane to me. So now the SME has no choice but to use a 3rd party utility like Veritas.

Is it also true that 2008 only supports 50 licenses with an extra premium paid to increase this to the limit of 75?

Exchange 2007 also discontinued support for OMA what other features of SBS have been discontinued or added?

Re: Sbs 2008

generally, all the new server systems for the past couple of years have been shipped with 64bit support
    ________
    Buy no2
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:29.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I agree with DYasny. x64 is pretty common now and we only need to think about the people looking at upgrading rather than buying new as generally new OS = new hardware. I think it can just be put down to how progress works.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        I agree with DYasny. x64 is pretty common now and we only need to think about the people looking at upgrading rather than buying new as generally new OS = new hardware. I think it can just be put down to how progress works.
        Agreed. We have some clients mostly the crap ones who just wont consider new hardware as we still have some legacy systems running SBS 2000 and 4.5 on that we`ve inherited!! At the end of the day it is the way forward. I guess its just a case of embracing change.

Comment

I've had customers running ancient hardware on mission critical servers, stuff like NetWare2 and Solaris6. some of them can be happily migrated to a VM, if the customer is willing to pay for a new server and ESX licenses.
          ________
          BUY GLASS PIPES
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:30.

Comment

Netware 2, they don't make them like that anymore....sigh.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yeah, it was a great LAN service. I particularly loved NWlite and LANtastic
              ________
              Honda Gl500 History
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:31.

Comment

OK guys, can we look forwards, not back! That's the whole point of this forum, at present.

You know, nostalgia ain't what it used to be
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  You know, nostalgia ain't what it used to be
                  LOL
                  ________
                  Drug testing kit
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:31.

Comment

Some I.T. folk do find this lack of tape drive support fairly contentious. But I find that a lot of our customers are embracing the various disk backup options quite happily, e.g. Rev drives (usually too small) or Tandberg or simple USB disks like Lacie. Small business owners can often be a bit afeared of tape drives - they see them as a bit of a black art, and are more comfortable with a disk to disk drive backup system. So in that case, no they don't need to fork out for Veritas or Retrospect.

What I do not like is the way they force you to backup to an external drive. What about the scenario where someone left the external drives at home, and so we want to do a backup to an internal drive which will juts have to do for now? That's better than nothing, so I wonder if that over-protective philosphy by MS who want to deny you using an internal drive can be bypassed. I can see their reasoning, but they have not thought about those unusual situations where someone may legitimately want to do a backup to an internal drive. Maybe they have an internal drive caddy!
                    Last edited by PaulH; 13th April 2008, 19:47.
                    Best wishes,
                    PaulH.
                    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I've just had a customer buy 2008 and get surprised, but the problem was easily overcome by an old machine using the streamer under linux. no agents, no extra cost, great backup reliability. of course that wouldn't work for exchange backups, but file servers are very easily backed up this way at almost no extra cost
                      ________
                      Chevrolet groove specifications
                      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:32.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                        Exchange 2007 also discontinued support for OMA what other features of SBS have been discontinued or added?
                        Bloody hell, so what are we supposed to do with our mobile devices then ?

Comment

use activesync?
                          cheers
                          Andy

Comment

Active sync over GPRS when I am remote works over OMA.

Comment

OMA is the text browser, a simplified version of OWA

ActiveSync uses the devices "outlook" to sync emails.

They are different things.
                              cheers
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X