Clear All

• email domain for SBS 2003

Hi,

Where can I get a free email domain name to use on my SBS 2003

thanks

Andy

Re: email domain for SBS 2003

Hi Andy

Why free? Do you just want something for testing etc? If so, domains can be registered pretty cheaply - £2 or £3 per year for a .co.uk for example.

When choosing a registrar, pick one that gives you control over the DNS - if you're going to host the DNS on your own servers then you will need to be able to set the name-server entries on the domain.

If you're not goin gto host the DNS yourself then easiest way is to select a registrar that gives a DNS control panel so you can set things like MX records and A records etc.

123-reg.co.uk is pretty good in terms of prices and facilities - there were a few DNS -related gremlins causing grief for 123 about 6 months ago but that was the only trouble I had in 5 years.

No doubt others will have other suggestions for registrars.

Cheers
    Colin

Comment

Do you have a fixed IP? If not you could probably use one of the dynamic doman services like dyndns.org or tzo.com. They provide a service where an agent installed on the server provides their servers with your updated IP. Then you get a domain like company.dyndns.org and mail addresses of [email protected]
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi

The reason why is because I am just testing SBS out.

It is not for buissness use it is just for fun

Thanks for your help

Andy

Comment

If you are just testing you can make one up and for inbound mail just telnet to the server to "send" mail to it.

or

if you have an existing Exchange, for example, you could make up a random name armadillo.fish (not sure where I got that from!) and setup a connector to send mail internally to the IP of the SBS server. You could set up similar on the SBS to send to your existing Exchange.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            If you are just testing you can make one up and for inbound mail just telnet to the server to "send" mail to it.

or

if you have an existing Exchange, for example, you could make up a random name armadillo.fish (not sure where I got that from!) and setup a connector to send mail internally to the IP of the SBS server. You could set up similar on the SBS to send to your existing Exchange.

Hi,

How do I use telnet I searched google but I couldn't find anything to help. any help is appricated.

Thanks

Andy

Comment

http://www.village-elder.com/blog/ar...th-telnet.html

Try from a command prompt

telnet localhost 25

from the sbs server itself.

This should give you a prompt. I am assuming, in this scenario, domain.local is your internal domain on sbs.

Type:
              ehlo domain.local
              mail from:[email protected]
              rcpt to:[email protected]
              data
              Subject: Test Mail
              random text blaa bla

there is a full stop at the end to finish the communications and you can't go back and delete things if you make a mistake.

this should send a mail to the administrator account.

it is also a good way of testing if your server is a relay. Try sending a mail to an external address for example.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
              X