Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 'companyweb' default site

Hoping someone might be able to help me

Am most of the way through configuring an SBS2003 server. One of the users tried to publish an Outlook calendar on the site. Two questions:

1. The calendar can be shared/viewed from within Outlook, but what they want to achieve is the calendar viewable from the companyweb home page (a al the vacation calendar). How does one do this?

2. In a wild fit of learn-on-the-job trying to do the above, they managed to delete the "all items" link that is shown on the R/H side of the default companyweb home page. IIRC its a list (or link) item, pointing to an 'allitems.apsx' file.... but where?? The list/links contain the remote access and remote admin links, which *I* need!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Re: Help with 'companyweb' default site

1. Sharepoint 2.0 and Outlook 2003 (that is what is supplied with SBS 2003) are 'read only'. That means Outlook can read a copy of what is published to sharepoint, but not vice versa
    2. sounds like you are in for a restore/reinstall - good luck!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

1. Not sure what you mean... Since posting I found that I can publish a calendar to the internet, either MS Calendar site or a webdav site. SBS 2003 falls into the later, and results in a URL HTTP://<site name>exmaple_site.ics (as an example).

How do I publish that ics file as a calendar? This might seem a braindead question, but the content creation "tools" in SBS2003 dont make it clear. The default "vacation calendar" has options to view as calendar format. Adding 'list' type content to the site, all I seem to be able to do is add a link to the .ics file, which then shows the raw data file, not a "rendered" calendar. And there is no way to specify the view type...

The "problem" is simple - a calendar used for booking rooms in a house. The calendar is managed in Outlook/Exchange, it would be nice to show it on the intranet site front page. And then can add other calenders (such as a calendar per room, or publish individuals calendars)

2. What??? Surely not! He only deleted a link from the website! Surely SBS is not so brain dead that deleting a link requires the entire server OS be reinstalled!!! I can recreate the link(s) if I knew where to point it at, either a .aspx file (containing the links), or the links to the remote admin and remote [mail?] applets.

Comment

Not really my field but if it shows the raw file then you may need to add the mime type to IIS? Anyone able to correct my thinking?

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...MIMETypes.html

http://blog.activeservers.com/PermaL...fc607bc89.aspx
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hiya,

Not sure if this is any help, but I've got companyweb & outlook sharing a calendar very nicely. This is how I did it:

1. Create the calendar & customise it on Sharepoint - I changed it from "vacation calendar" to "calendar" etc

2. Make sure your permissions are set up on sharepoint and users can access it/add events/edit events etc

3. When the user accesses the calendar, click on the button to link it to Outlook then allow it to access outlook

This creates a "sharepoint calendar" in their outlook account, which they can use to add items to or add items directly on the sharepoint site.

As far as I am aware they talk to each other OK, but this client only has three employees using their own machines, so it may not be too practical to do the above with a large number of users

Comment

Originally posted by alewisa View Post
            The "problem" is simple - a calendar used for booking rooms in a house. The calendar is managed in Outlook/Exchange, it would be nice to show it on the intranet site front page. And then can add other calenders (such as a calendar per room, or publish individuals calendars).
            See RCheesley's response for how to link, but as I say it's a one way readonly link publish from sharepoint to Outlook. That means manage in Sharepoint and publish to Outlook and not vice versa

Originally posted by alewisa View Post
            2. What??? Surely not! He only deleted a link from the website! Surely SBS is not so brain dead that deleting a link requires the entire server OS be reinstalled!!! I can recreate the link(s) if I knew where to point it at, either a .aspx file (containing the links), or the links to the remote admin and remote [mail?] applets.
            I meant a reinstall/restore of Companyweb aka Sharepoint services NOT the OS. And be careful who/what you are calling "brain dead" around here
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X