Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outlook can't find archive folder and...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook can't find archive folder and...

Hi

I use Outlook 2003 and currently can't access my archive or personal folders as it gives me a messaging saying that it can't find the files and brings up a window to search for the files on my computer but I can't find them.

My outlook is connected to exchange (SBS 2003) is their some where on the server they might be?

Or is their a way to create a new archive and personal folder and copy a backup of these from the server?

Re: Outlook can't find archive folder and...

Do you log on to a terminal server? If so, the archive may be in your Documents and Settings folder on the terminal server.

Do you use roaming profiles, home folders, etc.? If so look there.

Search your computer for *.pst and see if any pst files exist.

Comment

if you are using a laptop or cached mode you might need to also search for *.OST files....

brian

Comment

Archive is NEVER in an OST! But the default location for Outlook data files is in a hidden directory. Make sure you have made hidden folders visible in CP/Folder Options.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

:teiger

Hi, I agree, although I had a laptop user recently with a faulty disk and the system crashed. I recovered mail they had been working on that day from a local OST file. So I think it it worth remembering it is there, although a little of topic.

brian

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Do you log on to a terminal server? If so, the archive may be in your Documents and Settings folder on the terminal server.

Do you use roaming profiles, home folders, etc.? If so look there.
            Can you tell me where I would find these folders on the server?

Search your computer for *.pst and see if any pst files exist.
            Have done this on client computer and can't find any .pst files.

I have also searched the server for pst files and can't find any either.

Comment

The folder on the server is the same as on a workstation: Documents and Settings|Username.

To chime in on the other posts:

An archive would never create an OST file, only a pst file. An OST file is an offline copy of the mailbox when Outlook is running in cached mode and in this case is of no use to you.

If you lost your mail server you could use an OST file to recreate the contents of the mailbox, I've had to do this before.

Comment

having just read the original question can I ask sac9829 if there was anything in the archive folders or are they just entries you can see beneath your mailbox in Outlook?

If they are extra entries then you can right click and disconnect them, especially as the original file no longer exists (for whatever reason).
                If you want to create a new file then you can just use File / New (pst) in outlook. Further down the File menu is also the Archive option too.

Agree with joeqwerty as well, OST is great for disaster recovery.
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The folder on the server is the same as on a workstation: Documents and Settings|Username.

To chime in on the other posts:

An archive would never create an OST file, only a pst file. An OST file is an offline copy of the mailbox when Outlook is running in cached mode and in this case is of no use to you.

If you lost your mail server you could use an OST file to recreate the contents of the mailbox, I've had to do this before.
                  Ok some the cleint folder is located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Their isn't any pst files but their is one OST file called outlook1.ost

On ther server I can't find the same users folder as their is only user folders like admin, all users, default user etc

I have also checked on the server the users profiles folder but can't see it located in their either.

Any other ideas where I can find the files on the server?

Comment

Maybe you should do a search for *.pst on the server and make sure you set the option to search hidden and system files.

Comment

Maybe you should do a search for *.pst on the server and make sure you set the option to search hidden and system files.
                      Have done and only found 2 pst files that were years old but I have many outlook users that aren't having and problems but their isn't any pst fles that I can find on all the cleint machines or the server.

Any other ideas.

Comment

At this point you may be out of luck. If you can't find the pst file anywhere then those emails that were archived are gone unless you can restore them from a backup.

Comment

At this point you may be out of luck. If you can't find the pst file anywhere then those emails that were archived are gone unless you can restore them from a backup.
                          Why is it that no other pst files for other users can be found?

Comment

There may not be any. Exchange stores mail internally and doesn't use PSTs. Outlook can create and use PSTs but only (with Exchange) if you ask it to. Do you know you are missing some then?
                            cheers
                            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                              There may not be any. Exchange stores mail internally and doesn't use PSTs. Outlook can create and use PSTs but only (with Exchange) if you ask it to. Do you know you are missing some then?
                              Ok I understand.

So is it recommend that you don't use the archive feature because of the PST issue?

Also is their a way to recover some of the emails from an offline copy?

Comment

Working...
                              X