ADPrep after SBS Transition pack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADPrep after SBS Transition pack?

Hello, after a minor meltdown and 5-6hrs on the phone with Microsoft I now have a transitioned SBS server. I am wondering why I didn't just reformat and start over.

I am not sure of my status though, I started at sbs2003 STD SP2. I ran the upgrade to SBS2003 Std R2 SP2. Then ran the SBS2003 R2 Transition pack, and re-installed all windows updates.

I think that I have a 2003 std R2 SP2 box now, but when I go to add a BDC which is 2003 R2 SP2 clean install I get prompted to run ADPrep. I would of expected that to happen some where around the time I upgraded to R2.

As far as know adprep is not needed to add a 2003 R2 to a 2003 R2 domain so something is fishy. I am nervous about running the ADPrep I don't really want to do another recovery mode system state restore.

Any recommendations?

Re: ADPrep after SBS Transition pack?

Run the adprep !!!!

SBS R2 is not Windows Server R2 and has not had the schema enhanced for R2 servers.

PS Starting over would have cost you more the 5-6 hrs IMHO. Think of visiting every workstation to re- jig its profile, reinstalling and definng all the printers, shares, permissions etc.......get the picture!

PPS What kind of meltdown requires you to quit SBS via that route?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info about adprep.

We installed the R2 upgrade, then double checked that with build numbers and some other items. Once that was done we tossed in the transition pack and said go.

The transition pack did some stuff in the background for a few mins then came back and said "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD." So we clicked ok and were back at the desktop.

Which lead me to this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932600.

The trouble is what we had started with SBS2003 SP1 when originally installed, then added in SP2 down the road and the transition pack can only handle when sp2 was slipstreamed in to the original install cd if SP2 is installed.

We called MS they said reboot, remove SP2, reboot, restart transition pack. it was all down hill from the first reboot, the boot.ini was changed so it defauted to a server 2003 setup which blue screened, we rebooted and choose sbs2003 and when that started the transition pack ran some stuff and promted for a question of continue or wait, we had to ctrl-alt-del out of that so that we could uninstall sp2.

We got in to a half baked state of sbs and regular 2003 Microsoft had to work some magic with out registry, run a system state restore, then kick off the transition pack again.

Once we got back to Windows (now transitioned) IE was messed so every time you double click ie it creates a new shortcut the MS tech said he had never seen that one...none of the MMC's worked at all.

SP2 would not re-install, I would get half way through and fail due to a permission problem somewhere in the registry.

We got a lot of stuff working, RWW was not one of them which was supposed to make it out the other side according to my consultant guys.

Also I cannot run the edit the windows firewall through tcpip advanced settings, and I cannot run the internet connection wizard thing so I have no ideal what my firewall is doing.

There are a few small things still broken, that I have found and probably will come across more.

Anywho...If I every see the transition pack again I am going to recommend a migrate to new server and skip that mess all together.

Comment

Good description, but still my initial question - why transition pack in teh first place? Reached 75 users?

NB for everyone: if you are in the 50-75 user category, you may want to consider hanging on and moving to EBS (formerly codename "Centro") a solution on 3-5 servers for up to 250 users that is similar in style to SBS. More info at www.microsoft.com/essential

PS I saw recently on a desktop, a situation where clicking on IE only succeeded in creating another IE shortcut on the desktop. It wasn't a station iwas dealing with so unfortunately I didn't hear the solution.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Oh...

We have over 120 workstations, 5 2003 servers, 18 networked printers and a partridge in a pear tree. So we were a bit past the 75 user limit.

We needed the transition pack for more then a year now. In one year with a single contract our little machine shop doubled its yearly sales from $45 million to $90 million.

For that IE problem the Microsoft guy didn't really help either, but the server was IE6 so we upgraded to IE7, and I think that it was only on the administrator profile so we could of recreated the profile as well I think but the upgrade to ie7 fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by stylus277 View Post
            Oh...

We have over 120 workstations, 5 2003 servers, 18 networked printers and a partridge in a pear tree. So we were a bit past the 75 user limit.

We needed the transition pack for more then a year now. In one year with a single contract our little machine shop doubled its yearly sales from $45 million to $90 million.
            It's OK I won't tell and it's just between us anyway

For that IE problem the Microsoft guy didn't really help either, but the server was IE6 so we upgraded to IE7, and I think that it was only on the administrator profile so we could of recreated the profile as well I think but the upgrade to ie7 fixed it.
            As a point of general interest, I don't put IE7 on servers for 2 reasons: 1 servers aren't meant for sufing on anyway, so why a browser in the first place?; 2 it's one less item to reinstall/update if I have to rebuild it after a disaster.
            Just my 2(your currency goes here) worth!
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X