Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy in SBS Domain possible

Hi,

We have a SBS 2003 R2 SP2 server in our organization. Some weeks ago the server stopped working and after a few hours everything worked fine again. the question arised if there is a possibility of buying a second server which can act as a redundant server when the SBS server goes down again.

And which 'roles' of the SBS DC can be replicated or made redundant? in a perfect world it should be the Domain and the Exchange Data...

Can anyone enlight me about this?

Thanks in advange

Victor

Re: Redundancy in SBS Domain possible

If you buy SA (Software Assurance) with your license for SBS, you are allowed to maintain a "cold" server on standby with the same license.
    How you keep it patched, up to date and with your data is up to you - and weigh up the costs. Mail flowing to the cold server will somehow have to be merged with your main server when it comes back on line. What is the business cost of being down for a few hours like you say? What are the management and licensing costs of a cold server. Do the arithmetic, and see if it make sense, or the business owners buy in to it.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hello Teiger,

Thnx for the advice but is there also a 'warm' solution like a DFS replication server next to the SBS server which also holds a realtime copy of the AD?

Best regards,

Victor

Comment

If you have the money, then I believe DoubleTake has a solution - but remember you need an extra SBS license!
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

A possible solution is to add a Windows Server 2003 R2 to your network. This server have a realtime copy of the AD. This server can also act as a DNS / DHCP / file server, but the first 2 (DNS / DHCP) are not preferrable to run on this server though.

But acting as a file-server you can 'kinda' balance the load in case the SBS server goes down. butteh, your workstations will have performance problems when the SBS server is down because this server holds the FSMO roles...

Comment

And where is his data, his mail? And you need to reconfigure default gateway, DNS, DHCP.Not what the OP intended, IMHO.
            As I have said many time before, unless your (small) business is turning over $10,000 an hour or more, or will suffer unrecoverable damage to reputation by being down, time is better spent getting the SBS back on line, than rejigging everything to work via a spare server. Clustering isn't an option with SBS, so use DoubleTake or similar - if it is that critical to you.
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Why not invest in a SAN, this would allow you to store your Exchange Data and Files on the SAN, in case one server goes down you can quickly bring up another and bring up Exchange and File servers with a switch of a DNS record.

Comment

Working...
              X