Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS in Datacenter

Hi,

We want to host a SBS standard server in a Datacenter.

The SBS will only be used as mailserver. The Clients will connect with Outlook via the Internet (HTTPS)

In the datacenter the SBS will be connected with one NIC. This NIC will be configured with a public ip address. It isn't possible to configure a second NIC with a private ip address.

So my qestion is: Is this possbible/recommended? The firewall must be configured with SBS, we can't use a seperate firewall.

Best regards,

Bas

Re: SBS in Datacenter

It IS possible and done in a few locations. I know of www.ownwebnow.com that does this commercially. It works well there.
    Can you clarify what you mean by the firewall? If you mean it has its own firewall co-located on the SBS then you have to have 2 NICS (ISA in Premium edition is built specifically for this). Otherwise there should be a firewall in the datacentre, that you have to tell them how to configure.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi,

The Firewall must be a software application on the SBS server, because there isn't place for a hardware firewall.
      I'm thinking about Routing and Remote Acces or ISA. If Routing and Remote Access is good enough I prefere using that.

I found a way to use 2 NIC's. For the private network adapter we can use a network loopback cable, just that the SBS thinks there is a link an we can configure a private IP for the server.

I you have any suggestion, always welcome, thanks!

Bas

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        (ISA in Premium edition is built specifically for this).
        As above! (Quoting myself)
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X