Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting BDC with SBS2003

Hi,
    I've got a Windows 2003 server, with SBS 2003, and running Exchange 2003.
    I need to demote it to a BDC, and promote another server to a PDC.

Will i have any major or slight issues, and is there a reference guide with regards to this, that i can follow, so that everything goes smoothly ?

Thanks in advance
    Yanchri

Re: Promoting BDC with SBS2003

There are no PDCs and BDCs in either Windows Server 2003 or in SBS 2003 - and therefore your question is meaningless.

Also, SBS 2003 MUST be the domain controller at the root of the domain and the forest and will NOT be subordinate to a Windows Server 2003 domain controller - it MUST hold all the FSMO roles in its domain (including PDC emulator) and any other domain controllers in the domain will be (if you like) secondary to the SBS 2003 machine in that respect. Further to this, there can only be ONE server running SBS 2003 in your domain.

Your best bet is to build a new forest using Windows Server 2003 and use a migration product (e.g. Swing Migration) to migrate your infrastructure to this new forest. You can then decommission your SBS 2003 domain and install an alternative OS on the hardware.
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 19th March 2008, 16:13.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      There are no PDCs and BDCs in either Windows Server 2003 or in SBS 2003 - and therefore your question is meaningless.

You can then decommission your SBS 2003 domain and install an alternative OS on the hardware.
      I presume you meant SBS 2003 server as the point of migration is to retain the domain (usually!)
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        I presume you meant SBS 2003 server as the point of migration is to retain the domain (usually!)
        Apologies, yes...

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
        X