Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 User Passwords

Hello,

On the SBS2003 SP2 server I changed the passwords for all users from simple to more complex. After about 3 days all the users had to change their passwords again. So I reset their passwords again but again after a few days the messages keep appearing requesting the users to change their passwords.

It is not so simple to change back to the previous simple version because they cannot use any of the previous 24 passwords. We are quite happy to keep and use the complex passwords, combo of numbers, upper and lowercase.

1. We want to keep the same password or at least change every 6 months or so. Without having to change passwords again, i.e. to keep the original complex version, how can we make sure that the users are not requested to keep changing their passwords.

2. A user needs to access the network via VPN, do they simply just log on using the new complex password or do they keep using the old simple password solely for VPN access?

Thanks in advance for your help. As you can tell I am not the IT person. The company outsources everything but I am required to do the 'simple' things such as change ink toners, install software, etc...

Re: SBS2003 User Passwords

What you are asking about is called password policy and is controlled by settings in GPO or group policy objects. Get your Outsource to help you set the policy in Group Policy Management Console.
    Last edited by teiger; 19th March 2008, 01:21. Reason: typo - parkinsons
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: SBS2003 Passwords Policies

Thanks Teiger.

I would rather do it myself if poss rather than turn to outsource who will bill for the work.

Therefore, password policies -

what would I need to do so that when i enter the password that i have created for each user, it will never expire, the user doesn't need to change it, etc.

is it true to say that if i change the password policies all the users would need to change their passwords?

I would like the users to keep the existing passwords even if it means I need to re-enter them myself on the SErver.

Comment

Do you want me to bill you for the advice?
        Sheesh! We have to make a living you know - and what would it cost your company if you scr3w3d it up and people got locked out and then you had to call the Outsource anyway and you'd get billed!
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Duffer,
          If you're not absolutely sure how to do something on a network, adopt the following strategy:
          1) Research using books, training manuals, google, here etc.
          2) Test in a safe environment, e.g. a virtual domain mimicing your live domain
          3) Back Up your live network so you can go back if needed
          4) Implement the change
          5) Watch for flak from users as everything you do will upset someone

Anything else you do is at your peril -- you can break a network very easily if you aren't careful

IMHO group policies do not come under the heading of "simple" tasks and you should pass this one to your outsourced IT contractors. If you ask nicely, they should be very willing to show you what they do, so you can learn for the future.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Duffer,
            If you're not absolutely sure how to do something on a network, adopt the following strategy:
            1) Research using books, training manuals, google, here etc.
            2) Test in a safe environment, e.g. a virtual domain mimicing your live domain
            3) Back Up your live network so you can go back if needed
            4) Implement the change
            5) Watch for flak from users as everything you do will upset someone

Anything else you do is at your peril -- you can break a network very easily if you aren't careful

IMHO group policies do not come under the heading of "simple" tasks and you should pass this one to your outsourced IT contractors. If you ask nicely, they should be very willing to show you what they do, so you can learn for the future.
            Thanks guys for the good advice,

However, I'm already getting the flak because the users are required to change their passwords again.

Is it possible, as a quick fix, to set password never expires and user cannot change password via the properties>account for each user?

Being as there are only 7 users I could do this for each user in the interim, and when the outsourced IT guy is available next week he can sort it out properly?

Comment

Yes
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X