DNS Delegation / SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Delegation / SBS 2003

We are hosting our external website with GoDaddy, they are also controlling the DNS record. We'll call it.. MyCompany.com

The external GoDaddy DNS record for 'www' record points to GoDaddy's servers, and I'm pointing an 'owa' record to our front end exchange server.. those parts work fine. Externally I have no problem..

Internally, I have the MyCompany.com domain set up in our DNS as well, only with records for 'crm' and 'owa' (internally the 'owa' record points to an internal IP), but I want all the 'www.MyCompany.com' requests to go to GoDaddy's DNS.

So, I right-clicked MyCompany.com in the DNS mmc of SBS 2003, and chose 'New Delegation..', I typed 'www' which created a subdomain www.MyCompany.com, I added the GoDaddy nameservers ns01.domaincontrol.com and ns02.domaincontrol.com. I cleared the cache, ran ipconfig /flushdns a couple times for fun.. I still have no resolution for www.MyCompany.com.. Nslookup fails on www.MyCompany.com.

Did I do something wrong? Is there a better way to do this? Essentially I want all my internal requests against the MyCompany.com domain to be handled internally, except for www.MyCompany.com which I want to be handled by GoDaddy. Reason being, that if you request, for example, http://www.MyCompany.com/VirtualApp, they actually assign a different IP address based on the virtual directory you may be accessing. They also may change around their hosting IP's, but they will handle the DNS redirection for you..

Help?

Re: DNS Delegation / SBS 2003

What have set up is a split horizon DNS configuration (where you have external DNS and internal DNS). The easiest way to set this up is find out what all the public IPs are for your website and configure them on your internal DNS server. Because you already have an internal zone of mycompany.com your servers see themselves as authoritative for that zone, so they aren't going to query other servers for information in that zone.

Comment

Originally posted by kemperflow View Post
      We are hosting our external website with GoDaddy, they are also controlling the DNS record. We'll call it.. MyCompany.com
      I want all the 'www.MyCompany.com' requests to go to GoDaddy's DNS.

So, I right-clicked MyCompany.com in the DNS mmc of SBS 2003, and chose 'New Delegation..', I typed 'www' which created a subdomain www.MyCompany.com, I added the GoDaddy nameservers ns01.domaincontrol.com and ns02.domaincontrol.com. I cleared the cache, ran ipconfig /flushdns a couple times for fun.. I still have no resolution for www.MyCompany.com.. Nslookup fails on www.MyCompany.com.

Did I do something wrong? Is there a better way to do this?
      KISS is the answer. Delete the sub-domain and "New Delegation". In the mycompany.com zone add an A record for www and point it to the external IP. C'est tout!
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I have a question about the OWA pointing on GoDaddy's end. How did you do that? just out of curiosity? I have an SBS 2003 box and GoDaddy (with them hosting my website) but how to i set the OWA direction?

I'm not sure if I have my SBS's DNS setup right.

Comment

What if the Public IP for the website is Dynamic.

Comment

Cristo369

Please do not hijack a thread -start a new one and we will gladly relate to your question there.

DZimmie80
            You are close but I'll allow it.
            Go to your GoDaddy control panel and add an "A" record there called owa. You will still need to get to the site by using "owa.mycompany.com/exchange"

You might want to consider creating an "A" record called mail.mycompany.com and point the mail (MX) record there. Then your OWA would be "mail.mycompany.com/exchange"
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X