X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server purchase

Hi guys newbie here

OK.. here goes...

The company i work for has an existing HP Dl380 with SBS 2003 SP1... it is the primary PDC, DNS, Mail Server, SQL server, File Server.

We have just Purchased a Brand New DL380 and plan to retire it from this office and send it to a sattelite office...

I need to do an in place migration of users, email accounts and dns from old to new... I have been doing research and my understanding is i need to add it to the domain as a secondry domain controller and it SHOULD replicate the user data at least to the new machine?? I have been looking for migration tools on the web but to no avail... i have found the microsoft tool to convert the mailboxes to .pst's for migration... I have already installed the new SBS and all of the drivers... but thought it prudent to give it a different domain name for the time being, having not read the posts regarding levels of domain controllers...

So my questions are as folllows :

A) Should i re install SBS on new machine and set it to the same domain.. will this force an election??
    B) Steps there after based on outcome of question A

My background is a origianlly programming but i have a fair understanding of networks etc and have setup workgroups but not domains... having said that i have filled the domain admin role for about 4 months and have a fair idea of what i am doing...

Any helps is appreciated and TIA

Re: New Server purchase

Just posting this BEFORE Steven can mention it. http://www.sbsmigration.com/ Swing Migration is the trouble free way of moving your setup from one server to the other. This way the server and domain name stay the same. You will find the Exchange really likes it that way.

Have a look and see what you think. The cost is minimal when compared to the time you will save.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Spoken like a true convert
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks guys i appreciate the time) i'll look at the site now and ur right the cost is only about 20 of my hourly rate ... Before i read the post I had discussions with my boss about making a new domain as the retired server is to be rebuilt and installed in Malaysia as a seperate domain.. how hard will it be to change the domain name on the new server once i have used this migration tool? and as most of the functionality that is already available within the old server will be utilised again is worth following these steps...

1) Perform migration to new server
        2) Re configure the SBS install on old server
        3) Perform migration to old server from new server

Again any thoughts or opinions are appreciated and recieved with thanks

Comment

Oh and i suppose i should ask which kit u would recommend to purchase for the migration lol

Comment

If you want to rename the domain, I suggest you look at the MS migration white paper. But with terms "SBS Migration ADMT" first and decide which is best for you.
            The beauty of swing is you have a production domain which keeps running aka a fallback/backup strategy. ADMT is build your own backup strategy and it had better be good!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X