Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 and W2k3 Std as DC-s

Hello everybody.
    We have the domain with to DCs: SBS 2000 and W2k3 Std . I know it's not recommended but we had no choice. Now we have about 50 workstations - the SBS limit. The domain keeps growing and now we need to connect the remote site with about 15 stations and their own DC. Can somebody advaice whether W2k3 Std will be able to handle all connections over 50 allowed by SBS or we'll be still limited with 50. We are going to remove SBS in about 6 months but we need to join new stations right now. All FSMO are on the W2k3 Std

Re: SBS 2000 and W2k3 Std as DC-s

Originally posted by igorcher View Post
    All FSMO are on the W2k3 Std
    That DOESN'T work! SBS is the ego-centrical, selfish, absolute master of the domain. Take away any of its toys and it goes in the corner to cry - eventually shutting down. First SBS 2000 is a barely supported system. Second, it's a barely supportable system. Thirdly, SBS2003 has been out for 5 years, has a user limit of 75 users and will be replaced before hte end of its sixth year by SBS 2008.
    Another piece of information is, if you want to move out of SBS, check out the transition pack to save on licensing.
    Finally, consider upgrading to SBS2003 R2 with a view to migrating to WEBS 2008, a 3-5 server solution for 50-250 users coming out later this year.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

And what'll happen if I'll simply denote SBS 2000 from DC to Member server?

Comment

If you demote SBS it will cease to function correctly and results will be unpredictable.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

And if I'll remove SBS completely from the domain?

Comment

You'll go to another forum and ask your questions there
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X