SBS and Dialup problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS and Dialup problems

This one has really got me - not helped that I got it dumped on me.

SBS (Dell server) apparently set up OK
    LAN connection to 3 workstations

The site is back of beyond so only internet access through dial up via an internal modem.
    LAN IP is 192.168.1.1

UTFW (CIEW) to specify access via the modem. All seemed to work, connection appeared in RRAS and could be connected. No default gateway showing in LAN configuration

Web browsing eventually worked and established dial-up connection (visible in RRAS). Connection did not appear to want to drop once established, but hey, its not my phone bill!

Other PCs picked up IP address with 192.168.1.1 as gateway. Would not connect to the internet at all -- timeouts etc.

I'm well stuck here -- normally SBS via an ADSL router is a doddle, but this one is getting me down. All bright advice appreciated -- I have the server at home for a weekend of TLC or possibly a large axe through its drives
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: SBS and Dialup problems

Sorry, haven't dealt with dial-up since 1998. AFAIK UTFW should just work!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I know.... you would think UTFW would solve all the problems... Oh well, this means another lost weekend....
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can't you get a cheap router that dials up for you then you can connect the SBS to the router and it's a doddle (like ADSL!)
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thats a possibility -- you know any dial up (not ADSL or ISDN) routers?
          Tom Jones
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

OK, an update to close things off.

Complete rebuild on the server
            UTFW to set up dial up direct from the server
            Added single new workstation to domain

All OK (bloody slow, but thats not my problem...)

Found all sorts of problems on the original setup -- all PCs had Internet Sharing enabled, dynamic IPs but static DNSes, wierd and wonderful routing table entries.....

Anyway, issue completed and closed as far as I'm concerned -- the clients are someone elses problem.

Remember, children, if its SBS, just Use The ..... Wizard and everything will be A-OK
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X