Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding Server 2003 R2 DC to my SBS 2003 Std. Non-R2 Any last things I need to know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Server 2003 R2 DC to my SBS 2003 Std. Non-R2 Any last things I need to know?

A few weeks ago I migrated our SBS 2003 std. non-R2 to new hardware. That went well using the MS Whitepaper on doing so, just wish I would have waited for the whole 21 day grace period.

Anyway, I have our other server sitting here that I am going to put Server 2003 on and join the domain. Obviously the only software I can get is Server 2003 R2. Being that my SBS is NOT R2 is there anything else I need to know?

I have downloaded the MS Whitepaper for adding a second DC to an SBS Environment but it only talks about R2 versions of both softwares. I have read conflicting articles involving the need for forest prep or not?

TIA for any help.

-Dan

Re: Adding Server 2003 R2 DC to my SBS 2003 Std. Non-R2 Any last things I need to kno

Standard confusion:
    SBS R2 by itself does NOT need the adprep /forestprep or /domainprep since it isn't really an R2 server (it is initially an SP1 server, now at SP2).
    However, if you want to add a Windows 2003 R2 server to the domain then you DO need to run the adprep on the second CD of the R2 server.

HTH
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
    X