No announcement yet.

mail store restore on VMWare issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mail store restore on VMWare issue

I addressed this issue here because I have a problem with restoring Exchange store of SBS 2003 and don't think that it is related to VM in any way.

HP Proliant server running 2003 with VMWare server.
    3 virtual machines. 2 2003 servers and one SBS 2003 server.

SBS is Virtual machine from the physical one in the office.
    Run absolutely fine. I installed it in November. Yesterday I tried to restore Exchange server from the backup made in the office a day ago.

1. I dismount the store.
    2. run restore ( about 10GB file).

After restore the store cannot be mount.
    Checked Event viewer. Bunch of errors:
    id 9175 id 619 id 9519 id 8197 id 1005

I started to read about those IDs.

My question: what is the right procedure to perform a restore in my scenario.
    I need to be able to restore my Exchange at anytime, anywhere .
    Probably I missed someting when performed a restore.

Some of IDs are log in to exchange related, some - hard recovery and in 8197 -
    a virtual machine mentioned.

Too much for me
    Could it be related to Virtual machine? I thought about System State restore.
    But it is probably a bad idea since the system state is taken from physical machine.
    Please confirm this moment too!!! for my knowledge.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: mail store restore on VMWare issue

Although you have provided a wealth of details, some critical ones are missing. Can you tell us how the backup was performed? Was it an online or offline? what tools were used etc.
    Last edited by teiger; 9th March 2008, 09:00. Reason: Typo

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

The backup was performed using NTBackup on SBS and included Exchange store and System state on running server.
      The restore was made using NTBackup.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

To narrow down my problem I want to provide some info.

1. I disabled Antivirus on SBS
        2. Created new user. He is Local admin and has full Exchange rights, also double checked that he has send receive rights on mail store. Deny - cleared.

After all this I have 1 error (see below)
        I took this KB because it's exactly what I am getting. I did what suggested. Restored my backup but still getting the error

When you use Microsoft Exchange System Manager to mount a mailbox store, you may receive error c1041724. The following event ID messages may also be logged in the Application event log:
        Event Type: Error
        Event Source: MSExchangeSA
        Event Category: MAPI Session
        Event ID: 9175
        The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000

This behavior can occur when a System mailbox object that is created for this mailbox store exists in the System Objects container. When you try to mount the mailbox store, an Exchange 2000 computer may create another object. Only one System mailbox object can exist for each mailbox store.
        Back to the top

To resolve this behavior, delete the System mailbox object that exists: 1. Start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
        2. On the View menu, click Advanced Features.
        3. Locate the Microsoft Exchange System Objects container, locate the System mailbox object that was created for the mailbox store that you are trying to mount, and then delete it.

Other advices?