Restore mail backup from Enterprise in SBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore mail backup from Enterprise in SBS

Question about restores of various versions.

When I make backups of an Exchange 2003 Enterprise storage group with 4 stores, I make the backups with NTBACKUP, described by Petri, is it possible to restore that backup in an SBS 2003 server ?

Re: Restore mail backup from Enterprise in SBS

Exchange in SBS is standard version and, as such, only supports one store. So the short answer is "no"!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      Exchange in SBS is standard version and, as such, only supports one store. So the short answer is "no"!
      Thnx.
      Too bad.
      Okay, so when I go to the Exchange Enterprise server, move all mailboxes to 1 store, remove al other stores and storage groups, make a backup with NTBACKUP, can I restore that on an SBS 2003 server ?

Comment

What are you trying to do? I feel we are missing some vital piece of background information

If it is just to export from one server and into another, use EXMERGE
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, Ossian, I'm with ASS-ware.
          If I can, I avoid ExMerge and only use it as a last resort. It is the server equivalent of storing all your mail in PSTs! It doen;t transfer public folders, views, permissions, single instance storage etc.
          No, if ASS-Ware can fit everything into a single store AND it is less that 75GB, of course, then he can probably restore it to the SBS.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            What are you trying to do?
            Uhm, well, seems obvious to me, make a backup of an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server and restore the mailboxes in an SBS 2003 server.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              Sorry, Ossian, I'm with ASS-ware.
              If I can, I avoid ExMerge and only use it as a last resort. It is the server equivalent of storing all your mail in PSTs! It doen;t transfer public folders, views, permissions, single instance storage etc.
              No, if ASS-Ware can fit everything into a single store AND it is less that 75GB, of course, then he can probably restore it to the SBS.
              Will give it a try as soon as I receive the software.
              Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
              X