Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie needs help with dns and dhcp

hi guys,

I'm fairly new at this, so pease be patient with me. I've tried searching the forums for the solution to my problem but nothing I've tried seems to work. I recently setup sbs 2003 at my uncle's real estate office. I have one server running sbs 2003 which is acting as the domain controller, dns server and dhcp server.

I setup active directory with dns integration using the dcpromo wizard and enabled dhcp through windows components, configured the scopes and authorized the service. I restarted the server, everything seems fine in event viewer except for oner error, which i'm posting below:

"The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error."

The above error is logged under dns server in the event viewer. Also, all my client machines are running windows xp sp2, but when i try to connect to the domain from these machines, i get an error message saying that request for the SRV records timed out since the dns server could not be contacted.

Could anyone please explain why this is happening. In the tcp/ip settings on the sbs machine, the preferred dns server is set to 127.0.0.1, so I setup the same ip as the preffered dns on the client machines, but I still cant seem to connect. I don't know what i'm missing here. If you guys need any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks for your hep.

Re: newbie needs help with dns and dhcp

127.0.0.1 is the "local loopback" address, so setting it on the clients will make them look at themselves for DNS -- not a good idea.

Since it is SBS, the wizard should do all of it for you, but ideally you will end up with:

Server with fixed IP e.g. 192.168.0.1, gateway e.g. 192.168.0.254 (assuming you are using a router) and DNS of either 192.168.0.1 or 127.0.0.1 (i.e. pointing to itself)

Clients should have IP address e.g. 192.168.0.xxx, same gateway as the server and e.g. 192.168.0.1 (i.e. server IP address) for DNS
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think I understand Ossian.. Heres the thing, before i ran the dcpromo wizard... I setup a static ip on the server with a static ip of 192.168.0.200 and the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 which is the routers ip... after i ran the dcpromo wizard, the only thing the wizard changed was the dns server to 127.0.0.1. Everything else remained the same.

Should I go into the tcp/ip settings and change the default gateway to how you said it should be configured? I have a d-link router and the dhcp server on the router is turned off.

Comment

127.0.0.1 is fine on the server -- its basically telling it to look at itself for DNS

Can you set one of your clients to "automatically obtain IP" and post the results of IPCONFIG /ALL here?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ok, so i set the client machine to obtain ip automaticaly but i set the preffered dns server to the sbs machine ip which is 192.168.0.1... here is the info from ipconfig /all:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
          (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ipconfig /registerdns

Windows IP Configuration

Registration of the DNS resource records for all adapters of this computer has b
          een initiated. Any errors will be reported in the Event Viewer in 15 minutes..

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : cln-tagariteam1
          Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
          Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
          IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
          WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Con
          nection
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-58-88-B8-44
          Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
          Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
          Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.88.10
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>

Also, do i need to add the client machines to active directory? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm very new at this...

Comment

Your dhcp server is not working properly. Client is not getting ip address but instead its assigning apipa. Don't set dns manually. Configure everything on SBS server. Set up scope options to include DNS and Router.

hth
            Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

popeye67, thank you so much for your help!!!! I just followed your advice and bam, the server is now leasing ip's to the clients and i'm able to connect to the domain! I've been trying to do this for a week now, kinda makes me look like a fool, but i'm just glad that its finally working!!

Thank you so so so much!!!

Comment

you are welcome.
                Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

zsarfraz do you want to get on top of SBS 2003 real fast? Then check out the SBS 2003 Train Signal Lab. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=68 This CBT is perfect for you and will be the best investment you will ever make.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks biggles77, i'll definitely check it out

Comment

FYI you may want to start again with this SBS. I can tell it is not setup correctly from the beginning. Us SBSers don't do DCPromo, as a rule. (Except for those of us that are into Swing Migrations - and even then it's only a temporary step!)
                      No, we UTFW and the integrated setup which does the DCPromo for us - and, BTW, sets up AD, DNS, and DHCP to name a few of the services we get.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X