Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 and XP Home

Hi All,

Just got the SBS2003 R2 Server and got 3 Windows XP Home laptops and can not add to the domain.

I just create few shard folders in the server so how do i map these to windows xp Home laptops each time they logon to these laptop from the office ?

If i add manually are they going to retain in the system or are they need to remap each times?

We got our email host in our ISP but thought of use this exchange but with
    these laptops how do i configure?
    AusNetIT Solutions

Web Design | Web Hosting | SEO | IT Support

Re: SBS2003 and XP Home

Hello there,
    You cann't join Windows xp home edition computer to domain. Win Xp Professional can join domian but home edition can not.

Comment

"Home" operating systems cannot join a domain, you will need Pro or Business (or Ultimate) to do so.

If you make the workgroup the same as the domain NetBIOS name, the laptops will see resources, and they will cache the users domain password etc, but they will not get group policies applied.

IMHO, bite the bullet and upgrade to Pro. You will not lose settings etc. unless you choose to do a full re-install. If they are new purchases and you can demonstrate you told the sales-geek you needed them to work with SBS, you have a possible case against the vendor.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

but if you just want to map the drives you can make a bat-file.

map_drives.bat
        Code:
        net use x: /DELETE
        net use y: /DELETE
        net use x: \\ServerName\Shared\Folder\ /USER:USERNAME PASSWORD
        net use x: \\ServerName\Another\Shared\Folder\ /USER:USERNAME PASSWORD
        The user name and password must be a user on the server with rights to the folders, it should not be the local user on the laptop.

Place this file on each local machine and make it run everytime they log on,
        type regedit in run and click to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

right click and add a new DWORD and name it what ever you want, in the value, typ
        c:\windows\map_drivers.bat

But, as said you can not add them to the domain

Comment

HI All,

Thank you so much.Now drive mapped OK with the bat file.

Can someone look this pls?

We got our email host in our ISP but thought of use this exchange but with
          these laptops how do i configure?
          AusNetIT Solutions

Web Design | Web Hosting | SEO | IT Support

Comment

I have to say STOP here. If this is a BUSINESS, why are they buying HOME. You have been told that XP home is not suitable for an SBS environment. The cost of managing the workarounds is more than the cost of implementing the correct OS. IMnotsoHO.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X