No announcement yet.

Consequences of changing IP?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consequences of changing IP?

Our ISP is providing my customer with a VLAN between three locations. They want to change the network addressing from to

I have a real reluctance to change the IP address of an SBS 2003 server. There are over 50 users, netotwork printers, access points, etc.

What are the consequences that I can take back to them?
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Consequences of changing IP?

Consequences= time * hourly rate, to change the internal ip's.

If your internal pc's are DHCP'd then you really only need to worry about changing static ip's on the printers, ap's, servers, etc.

If you use ISA, you may have a little headache reconfiguring it, but it is possible.

Look for what currently has a static IP, and what is connecting to it. With SBS, you probably should have shared the printer from the server. So a change in the printer property there will affect everyone all at once. No need to visit the pc's.
    Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

And don't forget to change your port forwardings!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Time taken - 5 mins + reboot of workstations !!! Really!
        How? UTFW. There is a Change Server IP Wizard! Really! It looks after the Network settings like NIC, DHCP, DNS and WINS.
        One of the reasons I like the two-network card setup is that you can isolate your LAN from any changes like this. However, since the two-card network is problematic in Sever 2008, I'm going to have to re-think that strategy some time soon.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.