This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP printing with SBS2000 and Vista..

I have a user who uses RDP to access a W2K Server and they they RDP to their desktop to access files......(I didn't set it up that way). Anyways.,....

The user just got a laptop with Vista and now can't print at home anymore - do I just load the Vista drivers on the W2K server to get her to print?

Re: RDP Printing with Windows 2000 and Vista

We need to know far more about how this is set up before we could possibly answer this... you might as well have asked "My friend uses trucks and cars at work - but now the microwave oven in her house isn't working. What do I do?"

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

For you "slower" people out there:

I have a Vista Home laptop - I use RDP to connect to a W2K Server. Then from the W2K Server I use RDP again to access my work PC. Everything works fine - but I can't print to my home printer now that I have Vista - it use to work with my XP laptop. Suggestions?

Comment

Okay kiddies play nice.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

To the OP, make sure that the RDP client has the option to use your local printer turned on.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

that is already checked. I think it's a driver issue though, since you need the same driver on the PC as is on the remote PC. Just not sure about loading a Vista print driver on a W2K Server.

Comment

Actually, you don't need the exact same driver. You just need to force the driver to use a driver that will work for the OS in question. In this case it's Windows 2000, and fortunately Windows keeps a list of failures. MS released a tool that will allow you to see what printers have failed and manually select a working driver.

Terminal Services Printer mapping tool
              Andrew

Comment

I didn't think Vista Home had Remote Desktop. Thought is was from Business up.

hfctpl, I also object to being called a slower person just because I (and others) don't understand YOUR communication. In the world of TCP, it is the responsibility of the sender to make sure the message is understood. It is NOT the job of the receiver to try and decipher what the sender is trying to convey.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  I didn't think Vista Home had Remote Desktop.
                  You're thinking of Vista Home as the host OS. In the case the host is Windows 2000 TS. Remember, even Windows 98 can use the Remote Desktop client. How crappy of MS would it have been if they didn't allow that?!
                  Last edited by ahinson; 6th February 2008, 06:40.
                  Andrew

Comment

This seems a 2 step process:
                    Vista Client to Win2K TS (TS should see Vista printers OK)
                    TS (as Client) to Desktop PC

I quite often do this and do not expect to see my original printers inside the second RDP connection
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson View Post
                      You're thinking of Vista Home as the host OS. In the case the host is Windows 2000 TS. Remember, even Windows 98 can use the Remote Desktop client. How crappy of MS would it have been if they didn't allow that?!
                      Misunderstood what I first read about it. Seemed funny at the time but so did Vista Home.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

RDP printing with SBS2000 and Vista..

OK I have user who RDP's to a sbs2000 server and then rdp's to her desktop. She is trying to print to he local printer at home. I installed the printer drivers on the sbs2000 and on her vista home PC - still can't print. I don't get any errors in the event log when she does try to print - any ideas?

It did work with XP.

Comment

Re: RDP printing with SBS2000 and Vista..

Is this the same problem as you already posted about here:http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=21338
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah, wanted to start a different thread....

Loaded the Vista/XP/2000 drivers on the sbs2000 box and no errors in the event log - but still can't print.

Comment

You are in contradiction to Rule 2 of posting - NO double posts. Consider yourself banned for a week.
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X