X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious problems, server dies

Hi petri-members!

I have a problem wich have been around for a while and wich I havn't solved yet.

Environment:
    One SBS-Server running DC, Exchange, File, DNS, DHCP, Print, and one Access Application.
    15 Windows XP Clients.

The symptoms are as follows:
    The clients loses contact with the server totaly
    You can not do anything on the server, errors with messages like "not enouth resources" ect occur when i try to acces taskmaneger or do anything. Restart of the server are the only ting to do.
    This happens about every 10th day (more often before).

Comments:
    I have had this error for a while and tried to resolve it without luck. Some where i read about someone hwo got similar eventlogs because of a memory leak filling the memory, this is the only think i have red that applies to my setup (as far as I know). AND i changed the virtual memmory to 5gb 2 weeks ago and sinc that the error have occured just one time 3 days ago. Before that it happend between every 3-5 days. I have talked to the programmer hwo made the acces apllication, and thay havn't seen anythin like this before and the organisation runs this program on at least 10 other sites with more or less the same setup as me and a few more with NT- och 2000 Server. So i don't think that it's the problem, but you never know. Other then that i dont run any oter "extra applications" expept fron Norman Anti Virus.
    I can see the memory usage very slowly grow but the computer runs as normal, so i assume that it's the virtual memmory that grows, i just have 1024 memory installed on the server but the usage atm is 1.5gb wich should made it work very slow, but it runs as normal. The sum of the processes in the taskmanager are about 500 megs and I cant see anything unnormal.

Heres top 5 processes atm:
    Services 70,888 Mb
    Store 53,148
    (Iexplorer 46,244 Mb) Surfin atm at a few sites
    w3wp 35,340 Mb
    sqlservr 24,184 Mb
    Nvcoas 23,148 Mb Anti virus

These errors have occured since i emptied the log last time (i emtied it when i changed the virtual memory to 5 gb, so ahve just crached one time since), there where not a single error before the first crash since that time. but it is mainly 5007, 1058, 1030 thats occuring

===

Date: 2008-02-20
    Time: 13:01:20
    Event: 1000
    Source: Windows SharePoint Services 2.0
    Category: None
    User: N/A
    Computer: FS01
    Description:
    #50070: Unable to connect to the database STS_Config on FS01\SharePoint. Check the database connection information and make sure that the database server is running.

===

Time: 12:21:54
    Event: 1030
    Source: Userenv
    User: SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

===

Time: 12:21:54
    Event: 1058
    Source: Userenv
    User: SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=FRISKIS,DC= local. The file must be present at the location <\\FRISKIS.local\sysvol\FRISKIS.local\Policies\{31 B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

===

Time: 06:00:23
    Event: 1026
    Source: MSExchangeSA
    Category: General
    Description:
    Unable to get information about the message tracking share 'FS01.LOG'. Error 0xc00705aa.
    For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

===

Event: 5007
    Description:
    An error occurred during the message tracking decode operation. error from file: f:\tisp2\admin\src\libs\rpc\rwlog.cxx line: 517. <<0xc00705aa - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.>>

===

Event: 5007
    Description:
    An error occurred during the message tracking decode operation. Function:ScOpen . <<0xc00705aa - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.>>

===

Event: 1026
    Description:
    Unable to get information about the message tracking share 'FS01.LOG'. Error 0xc00705aa.

===

Date: 2008-02-14
    Time: 00:16:14
    Event: 1000
    Source: Windows SharePoint Services 2.0
    Description:
    #50070: Unable to connect to the database STS_Config on FS01\SharePoint. Check the database connection information and make sure that the database server is running.

===

Time: 00:15:47
    Event: 9317
    Description:
    Failed to register Service Principal Name for exchangeMDB; error code was c007200e.

===

Time: 00:15:47
    Event: 9317
    Description:
    Failed to register Service Principal Name for exchangeRFR; error code was c007200e.

===

Time: 00:08:18
    Event: 8250
    Source: MSExchangeAL
    Category: Service Control
    Description:
    The Win32 API call 'DsGetDCNameW' returned error code [0x862] The specified component could not be found in the configuration information. The service could not be initialized.
    Make sure that the operating system was installed properly.

===

Time: 00:08:11
    Event: 8026
    Source: MSExchangeAL
    Category: LDAP Operations
    Description:
    LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory fs01.FRISKIS.local for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x34] Unavailable.

===

Time: 00:08:11
    Event: 2102
    Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
    Category: Topology
    Description:
    Process MAD.EXE (PID=240. All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:
    fs01.FRISKIS.local

Thank you as **** for taking your time reading this and i hope I didn't scare anyone away with all the info.

Edit: don't blame me for spelling, blame my english teaher.
    Last edited by bAron; 26th February 2008, 09:06.

Re: Serious problems, server dies

Without going through all the details, it looks like you have a sick server. Sorry to say, but it is doubtful if 1Gb of Memory is enough to run SBS these days (sad, I know, but as soon as memory becomes cheap, programmers fill it up with more bloatware). Double your memory (physical RAM) to 2Gb at least. But it looks like the installation didn't run quite correctly leaving several applications incorrectly installed/configured. You may need to re-install, but also tell us which version you have.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Steven's right. I never sell an SBS box with less than 2GB because with 1GB they always fall over and I always try to get them to buy 4GB really.

But also you can, as well as adding at least another GB, check the size of your virtual memory swap file. Look at the recommended size and adjust it then reboot. Often you will find that the system does not give it enough of a swap file resulting in running out of resources.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I do agree with you, the serverstandars is growing and maybe it is a good idea to upgrade the memory on this server to 2 GB even if it helps or not...

But still the amount of used memory are growing everyday after a restart, starts of at 700 mb and grows by 100-200 mb per day. That it self shouldn't have to do with the amount of installed RAM?

I just wen't through the server reports wich is mailed to me every night. Through December the amount of RAM used peaked 1117 mb but where more or less steaddy at 1000mb of RAM.

Look at this:
        Date . . RAM in use
        02/26 . 1,645 MB (this result was read manually now and not from the report)
        02/25 . 1,489 MB
        02/24 . 1,300 MB
        02/23 . 1,224 MB
        02/22 . 1,200 MB
        02/21 . 1,040 MB

I will Pickup a memory localy today or order one and set in tomorrow, as I said, if it helps "Yeahhi", if it doesn't... It probably was a good idea anyway.

Server Specs:
        Operating System: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003 for Small Business Server Service Pack 2
        Processor: Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1210, Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1210
        Frequency: 1.8 GHz, 1.8 GHz
        RAM: 1024 MB
        Virtual Memory:5,120 MB

But as i said i WILL uppgrade the memory on this custumers server asap, it's really stupid having 1gb RAM on a server wich uses 1 gb in it's best and healthy state and 50% more lately
        Last edited by bAron; 26th February 2008, 09:04.

Comment

Had another crash this morning, pluged in the new memory in the server so now its up on 2 gigs, lets se how it goes, but something tells me that the source of the problem is somewhare else.

Comment

Have you checked the minidump? This can provide valuable information concerning which proces is clothering the servers resources?

Check for the proces LSASS.exe and its usage.
            [Powershell]
            Start-DayDream
            Set-Location Malibu Beach
            Get-Drink
            Lay-Back
            Start-Sleep
            Wake-Up!
            Resume-Service
            Write-Warning
            [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Don't forget about the virtual memory also. Check it's big enough: if not, adjust.

Good luck!
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.
              MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I would like to congratulate bAron on the layout of the first post. (It reminded me of a Microsoft exam senario question) Good information about your problem and well laid out with the bolded section titles.

Very good indeed.

Are you all patched and up to date? I have a memory leak on one of my servers that is caused by SQL. Teiger gave me a site to look at to fix it and I wonder if you have the same/similar problem.

Originally posted by teiger
                Biggles77 For the SQL resources problem, for Susan Bradley blog monitoring memory
                http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=20206

(One day Steven I shall fix it. )
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well the server is patched and as said, the virtual memory are at 4 gigs.

But in my last post I told you that I upgraded the memory on advice from you all, and since that the used memory have been very stable at 1.05 GB usage.
                  IF the problem with the server dieing (how to spell that?) then the problem seems solved, but I will keep my eyes on this one for a while.

an IF this actually where the thing that helped, how could it make the server crash, someone with any idea (just curious).

Thanks for the help so far...

I would like to congratulate bAron on the layout of the first post. (It reminded me of a Microsoft exam senario question) Good information about your problem and well laid out with the bolded section titles.

Very good indeed.

Comment

Keep us posted .
                    Har dig sa bra !
                    TIA

sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

I have the same problem, on a server with 6 gig's of ram. The opnly application runnin gis exchange.

Comment

Can you please start a new thread (hijacking old ones is not allowed) and explain EXACTLY what is your setup and what problem you are having.
                        (I am now closing this thread)
                        TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X