No announcement yet.

error in connecting to server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error in connecting to server

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with the following issue.

I have this laptop here that i bring in and out of the office. When it's in the office, it's connected to the server that runs on SBS 2003. It's not joined to the domain and the way to access to the server is by using the IP address of the server and providing the user credential login - then i'm in business. I even have it mapped to the network drive.

Now, i got this problem. everytime i come to the office first thing in the morning, i struggle to connect to the server. When clicking on the mapped network drive (Z:\, i got error message saying "it cannot connect to that drive". However, if i did "ipconfig \release" and renew the IP address, it then connects to the server with no drama. I wonder what kind of symptons this is.

Anyway, for your information, i also check on the server - going to "monitoring and reporting" under Server management. I saw there was one item under Critical errors in security log. It has the event ID: 529. It says "unknown user name and password". I have no idea why it says that when i have my account registered on the server.

Thank you in advance

Re: error in connecting to server

I simply avoid those problems by joining my laptop to my domain using /connectcomputer. I use it on plenty of other domains where I make sure I have an identical user and password - so it is using PTA.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: error in connecting to server

Make the workgroup name is the same as the domain name. Use the server as your first DNS server. Good to go.

I do the same thing here with four different laptops. They can map drives fine using the UNC path "\\servername\sharename".