X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS / W2K3 co-existing on same IP network

Hi,

Easy question

Can a W2K3 SBS server with its own domain ( 2 users ) co-exist on the same IP network as a separate W2K3 domain with two servers ( 10 users ) ??

We have a client who wants a new company they have setup, to share IP network resource, and have its own Exchange Server, but to also stop cross domain data transfer.

The SBS server and the user PC's connected to it would have static IP addresses from a remote part of the current un-allocated range.

They have a Cisco ASA, then a MS ISA server, then the internal network, so routing is not a problem to isolate either domain and the ADSL has enough IP's to separate DNS and MX records

Re: SBS / W2K3 co-existing on same IP network

Easy answer, no. Search this forum (on the main page at the moment) for the reason why not.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I did think it was not possible, but just needed confirmation

Thanks

Comment

Why wouldn't they be able to co-exist on the same LAN? I have two Windows 2003 AD domains on the same LAN and they don't know or care about each other. I'm not talking about the fact that SBS has to be the "king of the ring" I'm talking about sharing the same physical network. I don't see why it isn't possible.

Comment

Additional server (2000/2003) can (and should) coexist with SBS and can be DC. Whats important is that SBS holds all FSMO roles.

If you are talking about 2 separate domains (and after rereading you message it seems that way), then 'apparently' can be done, but its unsupported and asking for trouble. I've never tried it to be honest.

hth
          Last edited by popeye67; 21st February 2008, 17:27.
          Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

I actually don't see why not. Just make sure only the SBS is handing out IP addresses via DHCP. It's an ego-centric system and likes to think it's the only one in the neighbourhood, but if you can deal with the networking and making sure everything is absolutely separate from a logical point of view, it should fly.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

My apologies John for the incorrect information. I read your post as 2 SBS machines and not one SBS and one Win2K3. Good thing the others are on the ball and picked up my stuff up.

Time to upgrade this crappy screen and/or my crappy eyes.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X