Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 connectivity

Can you connect 2 SBS2003 together?

I have a client that has 2 locations. I just found out they are putting in a SBS2003 in location A (8 users). Right now both locations are in a peer to peer - with no connectivity with each other.
    If location A gets a SBS, can location B (10 userser) only get a 2003 Server then? Location B is the Main office.
    Can both locations have SBS's and still be able to connect to each other?

Would you suggest VPN or PTP? Both have broadband.

Re: SBS 2003 connectivity

Originally posted by hfctpl View Post
    Can you connect 2 SBS2003 together?
    NO!

Originally posted by hfctpl View Post
    I have a client that has 2 locations. I just found out they are putting in a SBS2003 in location A (8 users). Right now both locations are in a peer to peer - with no connectivity with each other.
    If location A gets a SBS, can location B (10 userser) only get a 2003 Server then? Location B is the Main office.
    Can both locations have SBS's and still be able to connect to each other?

Would you suggest VPN or PTP? Both have broadband.
    You can set up Location B as branch office to SBS - look for a White Paper on that from Microsoft
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

this is what i found:

Windows Small Business Server 2003 cannot be used in a branch office scenario because it does not support Active Directory trusts and must be installed at the root of the forest.

Is this what you mean?

Comment

I mean, SBS has to be head of the forest, doesn't support trusts and is limited to 75 users.
        That means you cannot have 2 SBS's in the same domain or connected by a trust. You CAN have another Windows server in a branch office which can be a domain controller in the same domain.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Agree with Teiger. What I found is that people are looking at SBS as cutdown version of W2K3 Server and thats why they are trying to get as many SBS's for remote office. Only way of doing things is 1 (ONE) SBS Server and W2K3 Servers in remote offices as domain controllers only.
          Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

Working...
          X